Delinquency in the family, HELP!

I have a 15 year old cousin who is on the FAST track to a bad life. She is cutting school everyday, smoking, drinking, sneaking people into her house in the middle of the night, talking back and screaming at my aunt when she disiplines her. My poor aunt is at her end... no one knows what to do, she is hanging out downtown with a very bad crowd, she lies and decieves. Has anyone had any experience with this? Does anyone have any advice to help? I suggested getting a window alarm so if she opens her window an alarm goes off to tell my aunt, I also suggested arranging the police to pick her up and put her in jail over night (or a few nights) to scare her. We need help, we cant control her. Anything?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:20 PM on Jan. 9, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• I was that girl minus the sneaking kids in my window part... I came home and my dad showed me 3 rehab centersand told me to pick one cause im going to one. That straightened me out.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 9:22 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• wheres the dad in all this? Maybe she is acting out with no father figure looking for love.?
    Anonymous

• That was also me minus sneaking in... i was sneaking out lol. I think that some type of mentor, that deals with at risk youth would be a good idea.

You can try the alarm but she would probably just figure out how to disarm it..unless its more expensive.

She needs some sort of intervention, possible a youth camp of sorts, they have ones that are year round where she can attend school

good luck
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 9:26 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• She doesnt have a father, he wasnt around and is now dead i believe. A few years ago she was happy, healthy, well adjusted but now its completely opposite.
    Anonymous

• That was me also!! lol..
    I grew out of it. thats really all anyone could do. I hung around people that were doing bad things and eventually looked around at all of them and realized i didnt want to do this forever.. all of my friends parents were like 40 year old partiers also who drank with us!! i was like oh my gosh, im gonna end up like their parents and so are they! its scared me straight!
    maybebaby83

Answer by maybebaby83 at 9:30 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• I also grew out of it, mainly because i was seeing everyone around me getting p arrested or hurt. At her age I was hanging out with men that were ten or more yrs older then me because they would buy me alchohol and such. I hung out with dealers and every other low life imaginable.

A big part of me getting out of it was a class i had in highschool my sophmore year...it was called reconnecting youth and was aimed at helping at risk or troubled teens...it focused heavily on drug prevention or getting off drugs(including alcohol or cigarettes)

she needs something to knock her straight and out of the lifes she is in.. including changing her friend base
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 9:36 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• Boot her out...she wants out so bad let her...I did with my then just turned 16 year old, sfter a week it was old and she came home and straigthned out.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 10:11 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• I can not say what I would do, but I can tell you what my parents did to me. They placed me in a place called "House of Hope", and it saved my life!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:24 AM on Jan. 10, 2010

• Have her visit the local Juvenile Hall for a day. She will think twice about acting up. Good Lcuk.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:48 AM on Jan. 10, 2010

• I'm sorry your aunt is going through all that. I'm also going through some of the same things with my 15 year old son. He's drinking, doing drugs (both with family members), talking back, cutting himself and hitting his 14 year old sister all the time. A friend of mine suggested a teen boot camp. Her son is already there and it seems to be helping. They are there for about 5 1/2 months with no contact to the outside except one phone call a week. Which can only be placed to his mom. My only suggestion is to either look into that (just type it into google), find a counselor (which my son has), or take her to a doctor. It may not just be a phase. My son's doctor has finally after two years of this diagnosed him with bi-polar disorder. It is very frustrating to figure out what to do when because his moods change so frequently. Good luck! And just keep trying to help. Eventually something will change!
    aprilhinrichs

Answer by aprilhinrichs at 3:24 AM on Jan. 10, 2010