my 2 week old son has a temp of 99.2. should i be concerned?? is there anything i should watch for??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:30 PM on Jan. 9, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• call his doctor or if havee him layered try unlayering him and see if it goes down
    momatonly16

Answer by momatonly16 at 9:33 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• OP here-you can't get ahold of hte doctor ona weekend, an di called hte hospital and they won't Give out advice over the phone.
    Anonymous

• 100.4 is the magic number that means take him in immediately. Before then, you can try dressing him in lighter-weight clothing, taking off the blanket, a luke-warm bath, but no Tylenol. If there are other symptoms that worry you, then go ahead and take him in. Otherwise, I'd say a phone call should probably suffice, see what his doctor says and whether he wants you to bring him in (or take him to urgent care or something, since it's the weekend...but I'd still check with his regular pedi if you can).
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 9:37 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• I think your child is too young for doctors to be able to give him anything that's why temp before 6 months is really of concern. i would take her to ER I wouldn't wait, don't give her any over the counter he/she is way to young and with very little weight on her. Go to ER if no doctor is available.
    bebita

Answer by bebita at 9:39 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• how'd you take the temp? rectal, underarm, etc? Anything over 100.4 is cause for concern and should be reported to the dr immediately. Your dr should have an after hours line, usually you can call the office and listen to the prompts to get put through to the on call dr. I've NEVER heard of a Ped not having an on call person assigned.
    mnt_2_b_mommy

Answer by mnt_2_b_mommy at 10:17 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• that's a normal temperature still. Not a fever.
    Anonymous

• How are you taking the temperature? Rectally, ear, under arm? I assume rectally since baby is only 2 weeks old in whcih case 99.2 is NOT a temperature, as rectal temps run higher than a temp we would take in our mouth. Normal rectal temp range for an infant is 97.9 to 100.4, in the ear is 96.4 to 100.4. If you go the ER with 99.2 they will onyl send you home. Other things to look for to indicate a fever would be generally fussiness, reddened cheecks or a "flushed" look, warm to touch, etc.
    LSchwarting

Answer by LSchwarting at 10:36 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• I'm guessing he is just overheated. Undress him. And check again. This time underneath his arm. If its still high, call your peds number. EVERY DOCTOR has an answering service. Leave a message. Someone WILL call you back.
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 1:14 AM on Jan. 10, 2010