Having Trouble keeping the breastmilk flowing....any ideas??

my son is 4wks old and i'm having trouble keeping the milk flowing when i pump i know he's getting what he needs from me when he eats straight from the breast but when i pump there is little or next to nothing coming out, am i doing something wrong or what, any ideas? i have been restricted from caffine and all dairy products due to the fact that he may be lactose like his father and brother were, so i also need ideas on what types of bland foods i can make for myself so as to no aggravate his system.

snowconepixie

Asked by snowconepixie at 4:42 PM on Jun. 25, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• make sure you relax when you pump so your milk "lets down" and remember breast milk is based on supply and demand so the more you feed and pump the more you produce. I also have heard that there are some natural herbs you can take to boost supply just ask your lactation consultant or contact your local la leche league for help.
    zaksmom8278

Answer by zaksmom8278 at 4:48 PM on Jun. 25, 2008

• when my daughter was born at 29 weeks all I could do was pump. She could not eat at all to help stimulate production, my doctors suggested Brewers yeast(SP?) it is a natural pill that you can find at any atore that sells vutamins!! (bonus it also helps fight off mosquitos ) Good Luck and RELAX!!!! it does help
    jorbear

Answer by jorbear at 4:55 PM on Jun. 25, 2008

• Yeah, I sympathise. I never successfully pumped my milk for any of my three. To increase milk production, be sure to try galactogogue teas. Health food stores, online - type in breastmilk tea: Milkmaid tea is one you'll find. I can't recall all the ingredients,nettle leaf for vitality, fennel, foenugreek ... but the Lactogogue Tea I had from Weleda was excellent. When I was scaling back as my children got older (my daughter didn't stop breastfeeding until she was 3), I simply cut back on how much tea I drank. Good luck, breastfeeding is SSOO worth any trouble you take to keep it up for the first year at least.
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 5:15 PM on Jun. 25, 2008

• I agree with the foenugreek tea and also eat oatmeal! I had to get a prescription from my doctor to increase my production. But, my baby was colicky, so I was stressed and not getting any sleep. That can also mess up your production. It is so hard to relax when they are newborns! It gets so much easier when they get a little older.
    IlovemylilChase

Answer by IlovemylilChase at 7:30 PM on Jun. 25, 2008

• Have you tried pumping on one breast while nursing on the other? If you can't do that hold him or look at a picture of him while pumping. It will help get things flowing. :) Good luck, mama!
    PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 12:01 AM on Jun. 26, 2008

• talk to your dr, she can give you some medication to help. But, naturally... try feedig more often.
    ChasesMommy0115

Answer by ChasesMommy0115 at 12:02 PM on Jun. 26, 2008