I am in default on my student loans. Will my SO's tax refund be garnished?

I am a SAHM and he normally files as Head of Household, so my info is included as a dependent.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:45 PM on Jan. 9, 2010 in Money & Work

• Why did you default on the student loans? Can you call them and ask for a deferrment? A default status is going to kill your credit status for the rest of your natural life.
    Anonymous

• Are you married? If you aren't then no, and if you are but the debt was incurred before the marriage, yes. If you file married filing separately, then no. But I am not a tax professional, so don't quote me on that.
    acollins09

Answer by acollins09 at 10:00 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• Just pay don't default call them and get it deferment. And yes they can just take it if they want to! You owe them!!
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 10:04 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• As long as you keep in touch with them, you shouldn't default. It's hard to call and tell people you don't have the money to pay your bills, but you got to.
    Seven07

Answer by Seven07 at 10:46 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• If it is through Sallie Mae go on Sallie Mae's website and you do some deferments online. It is very easy.
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 7:28 PM on Jan. 10, 2010