Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I am in default on my student loans. Will my SO's tax refund be garnished?

I am a SAHM and he normally files as Head of Household, so my info is included as a dependent.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 9:45 PM on Jan. 9, 2010 in Money & Work

Answers (5)
  • Why did you default on the student loans? Can you call them and ask for a deferrment? A default status is going to kill your credit status for the rest of your natural life.

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:56 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

  • Are you married? If you aren't then no, and if you are but the debt was incurred before the marriage, yes. If you file married filing separately, then no. But I am not a tax professional, so don't quote me on that.

    Answer by acollins09 at 10:00 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

  • Just pay don't default call them and get it deferment. And yes they can just take it if they want to! You owe them!!

    Answer by gammie at 10:04 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

  • As long as you keep in touch with them, you shouldn't default. It's hard to call and tell people you don't have the money to pay your bills, but you got to.

    Answer by Seven07 at 10:46 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

  • If it is through Sallie Mae go on Sallie Mae's website and you do some deferments online. It is very easy.

    Answer by kc932 at 7:28 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.