OMG! U.K. Woman Reports Rape, Charged for Sex Outside Marriage

Isnt this CRAZY??

A British woman who alleged that she was raped in Dubai on New Year’s Eve has had her passport confiscated and may face a jail sentence after she was charged with having sex outside marriage with her fiance.

You have to read the whole article to catch the full story and fully appreciate the absurdity and horror of it! What do you think? I understand they are in another country....but this is extreme!

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,582660,00.html?loomia_ow=t0:s0:a16:g2:r1:c0.302606:b29712914:z10
its an AP story

momof030404

Asked by momof030404 at 10:07 PM on Jan. 9, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 10:07 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• I love My Country we don't have to worry about stupidity like that happening.. seriously a woman getting charged for getting raped?
    Did i say I love being an American?
    Anonymous

• I can't even believe things like this happen. The United States is lame, but atleast I can screw whoever I want and not be charged.
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 10:14 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• lame?
    Get the out and go to Canada then
    Anonymous

• They live under Islamic law. Ain't it grand!

This certainly won't do much for tourism will it? They have spent a lot of money creating a tourism industry. Would you vacation there?
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 10:21 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• It occurred to me that alot of celebrities vacation in Dubai dont they? Not exactly the most chaste group of folks ;)

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 10:50 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• This is why there needs to be a separation of church and state. When we allow religion - ANY religion - to dictate laws and the lives of the people of an entire country things like this happen. In fact these types of situations were not unheard of in the US's early days, or in the UK until about 150-200 years ago (depending on the area). In this case it's Muslim law, in cases of the US and the UK, it was Christian law... It doesn't matter, until there is a complete separation of religious beliefs and legal procedures these types of stories will continue to occur...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:44 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• would seem to me the US has evolved and the UK has left the dark ages too
    Anonymous

• The woman isn't being charged because she was raped, she is being charged because she was sharing a hotel room with a man she is not married. Dubai needs to vigoriously persue justice for the rape and she and her soon to be husband need to follow the laws of the land they are in, period.
    NCMommy2be

Answer by NCMommy2be at 2:20 PM on Jan. 11, 2010