first trimester - HORRIBLE COLD!

So im trying VERY hard to take NOTHING.. the first trimester is when they say it is very important to watch what you put in your body. (i know it is all the time, but you know what i mean) i have a horrible cold.. runny nose, aches ect...
I can handle not taking meds, but i want cough drops.. some web sites say dont do it the first trimester, some say honey ones are okay.. i see my dr on the 13th of this month for my first ultra sound, but i was just seeing if any of you know? im about 6 1/2 weeks right now..
Thanks in advance!

maybebaby83

Asked by maybebaby83 at 10:29 PM on Jan. 9, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Avoid dairy while you are sick - it can increase the amount of mucus your body produces.

Peppermint tea is great! Peppermint is a natural decongestant; just be sure that peppermint is the only ingredient.

Honey (antibacterial) and cayenne pepper (anti-inflammatory) is the best cough syrup.throat soother.

Emergen-C will help you stay hydrated and give you an energy boost; be sure to mix it with cold water. The lowest price is at Trader Joes, though it is sold just about everywhere (Target, Walgreens, etc.).

I am a big believer in the power of foods. This healing foods pyramid from the University of Michigan is great: http://www.med.umich.edu/umim/food-pyramid/index.htm

Answer by rkoloms at 8:08 AM on Jan. 10, 2010

• Call your doctor in the morning. Ask what you can take. The doctor or his assistant will let ya know without an appointment.
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 10:32 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• Get some Elderberry syrup. The FDA criticized the manufacturer of Tamiflu for "overstatement" of claims of efficacy, since blind studies comparing it to a placebo only resulted in a 1.3 day difference. A study on Sambucol (Elderberry) found a 3-4 day difference in duration of symptoms.
    Most important, stay well hydrated.
    I always make miso soup when someone is sick: 2 cups veg. broth
    2 cups hot water
    4 Tbsp. miso
    1 tsp. fresh ginger root, grated
    1/2 cup diced firm tofu
    3 Tbsp. thinly sliced scallion greens
    1/2 cup thinly sliced mushrooms
    I have substituted onion for the scallions, and left out the mushrooms. I have also added some thinly sliced chinese cabbage, because I happened to have it.)

cont

Answer by rkoloms at 8:10 AM on Jan. 10, 2010

• Pour the veg. broth and 1 cup of water into medium saucepan. In separate bowl, dissolve the miso in the remaining 1 cup water. Mix well and add to saucepan. Add the ginger root and mushrooms and heat until simmering (about 5 minutes). Remove from heat and stir in the tofu and scallions. (If adding other veg. like onion or cabbage, you'll want to simmer until they are tender before adding tofu.)