Why does it seem like more and more parents are looking for things to be wrong with their kids?

Why do you look for things to be wrong? It's like this has become the new bandwagon to jump on. If you notice something a tiny bit different about your child, you’re surfing the net looking up autism and ADD. I mean really, I think this has gone too far. All children are different, stop looking for them to have something "wrong" with them. Let them be kids!!
And please don't jump on here talking about having your child Diagnosed with something. You chose to have them diagnosed, that was your choice. You did what you felt was best for your child(ren). I'm not debating that. I'm talking about all the hoopla about women being obsessed with finding deficits in their children (ADD in a 1yr old, AS in a 6 month old etc). Come on people, is this the "Label and disable" generation or what?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:45 PM on Jan. 9, 2010 in General Parenting

• My guess is  if your child is DX with a "disability" parents get money. Same thing with the schools, the more "disabled" children they have enrolled, the more $$$$$ they get from the state and federal government. It's really sickening!! ( No, i'm not talking about children that really do have a disability so don't even bother replying if that's what you have to say).

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 10:56 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• I think people just want to be sure there children is healthy. Everyone fears that something will be wrong with there children so they look for anything to find thats wrong. My daughter is 16 months old and only weighs 21 lbs. I asked for advice on here on ways to make her gain weight and some people said i should see a specialist. I think most of it is absurd. I dont stress about my daughters weight I know she is healthy because shes a happy toddler. I agree with you about worrying about the dumbest stuff. I think the only time u should worry is if there is severe development delays.
    drs1206

Answer by drs1206 at 10:50 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• You have a point. It seems to be a lot more frequent now than in the past.
    Anonymous

• Paranoid! Everyday there is something new to be afraid of. This is wrong to do that is wrong and everything changes every year. It drives me nuts. That's why every mom jumps. People just need to relax a bit
    JaymieZ

Answer by JaymieZ at 10:51 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• OP I think you are right on! It is SO sad to see so many parents not knowing how to handle their rowdy boys and wanting to label them with ADD and get them medicated (turned into zombies). And autism??? Come on!! Why are we trying to disable our children??
    My husband WAS labeled with ADD as a child, he was 6 at the time... just running and jumping... being a BOY! He was medicated until he turned 18 and decided he didn't want to be anymore... and guess what - he thinks more clear NOW than he ever has on drugs!
    Why won't we just let our kids be KIDS, instead of zombies?
    That isn't to say that there are SOME children who are affected with these illnesses... but not near as many as are diagnosed every year!
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 10:53 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• Answered at 10:50 PM on Jan. 9, 2010 by: drs1206
    I think people just want to be sure there children is healthy. Everyone fears that something will be wrong with there children so they look for anything to find thats wrong. My daughter is 16 months old and only weighs 21 lbs. I asked for advice on here on ways to make her gain weight and some people said i should see a specialist. I think most of it is absurd. I dont stress about my daughters weight I know she is healthy because shes a happy toddler. I agree with you about worrying about the dumbest stuff. I think the only time u should worry is if there is severe development delays.

Do not worry about a 16 month old at 21lbs! I have always been a very small person and am perfectly healthy! Some people just have very fast metabolisms!
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 10:54 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• If your kid is "sick" then it's not your "fault" they they act up or can't do something. And health insurance and pharmaceuticals and doctors LOVE "sick" kids. It's lazy parenting. We have a really lazy culture where we'd rather take a pill and make things go away.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 10:56 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• LMAO - I skipped this question over at first b/c its a touchy subhect for me, but then I saw the question about asking how to tell if a 1 yr old has add. I can't even put togther a compleete thought beyond STUPID as to why someone would try to have a 1 year old diagnose with add.
    Yes ADD exsists, and yes it is a problem for those kids that TRULEY have it, but it is over diagnosed, and some people look for it as an excuse. Which is unfortunate because then those who TRULEY have it are stereo typed with the other nuts...
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 11:10 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• blame these baby websites they go on about milestones and if your baby isn't doing those milestones right it gets mommas upset and grandmothers paranoid
    We who were born before 1980 never had to deal with labels like atustim or adhd add and if so it was rare the worst diagnonsense was down syndromes or fetal alcohol syndrome now days if a baby doesn't talk by 9 months(exaggerated) he or she is diagnosed with autism cause they can't talk or if they can't walk they got some sort of problem we never knew about years ago.
    So I blame the media with child hood labels vaccines...
    My friends child is 2 and a half and her MIL says their son is slow or autistic just because he don't talk but the woman is barely around that child the most is when they go to her store for about 5 mins....
    Now my friend is thinking about speech therapy classes!

my daughter isn't talking and she is 22 months my step mother calls her slow
    vikings_beauty

Answer by vikings_beauty at 11:20 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• one of the many reasons I homeschool is so that my kids aren't subject to school faculty "diagnosis"
    I determined years before ever having kids of my own that I don't want someone telling me my kid needs to be on psychiatric drugs. I read at one point that big pharma was pushing for MANDATORY testing of ALL school kids "to determine their corrective medication needs"
    HELL NO.
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 11:21 PM on Jan. 9, 2010