How long can I leave a bottle of breastmilk out before it goes bad?

JaymieZ

Asked by JaymieZ at 10:46 PM on Jan. 9, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• For formula it is one hour. I would imagine its the same for breastmilk.
    justluvinmyson

Answer by justluvinmyson at 10:47 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• Four hours at room temperature is a conservative time to leave it out.
    Twenty four hours if it is kept in a cool in a cooler or surrounded by an ice pack.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 10:53 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• acc. to the human milk banking ass. of noth america -> they say freashly expressed milk : 4-6hrs @room temps (66-72 degrees F.) Im pretty sure u can look it up online!!
    KalieGirl

Answer by KalieGirl at 10:54 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• FYI Breastmilk has antibodies and other live components that protect it. Formula does not have that and thus would be invaded by bacteria much more quickly.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 10:55 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• [cont]
    ice packs : 24hrs
    fridge: 4-6days
    self contained fridge &freezer: 3-4months
    Deep freezer @ 0degrees F. :: 6-9months
    KalieGirl

Answer by KalieGirl at 10:57 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• I just had this discussion with a lactation consultant at the NICU where my son is. And she said the answer is 4. 4 hours for room temp, 4 days for refridgerated, and 4 months for freezer :-)
    JAJA_Steele

Answer by JAJA_Steele at 11:35 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• Some places I have read say up to 10 hours. (I'm not totally sure, but I think that lansinoh has that on their milk bags.) I know that I can leave mine out for 8 and it is fine. You'll know when the milk has gone bad.
    Miss_Kay

Answer by Miss_Kay at 12:12 AM on Jan. 10, 2010

• If it is freshly expressed, 8-10 hours at room temp. Once it's been frozen or refridgerated, then brought back out, only 2 hours.
    mnt_2_b_mommy

Answer by mnt_2_b_mommy at 1:10 AM on Jan. 10, 2010

• I'd think for the day as long as its at room temperature.......then again im not sure if you freeze it or not..im not sure how that all goes...
    LynnB1

Answer by LynnB1 at 1:45 AM on Jan. 10, 2010

• try kelly mom, up to 8hours at room temp if its fresh pumped.but i wouldnt leave it out that long
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 2:49 AM on Jan. 10, 2010