Are fraternal twins genetic?

by any chance? and if so how does it work? Are me and my husband more likely to have them if My grandpa was a F twin and my hubbys biological mom was an F twin?

Hali_Taylor

Asked by Hali_Taylor at 10:46 PM on Jan. 9, 2010 in Just for Fun

• It is genetic but I'm not sure how it works. You could google F twins and it should give you some biological information on it and what the chances might be. Obviously higher since it runs on both sides of the family.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 10:51 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• My mom is a fraternal twin. Though it seems to run in families, the only real predictor of fraternal twins is the age of the mother at conception. The older a woman gets, the more likely she is to ovulate with multiple eggs. My grandma was 35 when she had my mom and her twin bro. Women approaching menopause may drop many eggs during a single menstrual cycle.

There is a village in South America that a Nazi doctor is rumored to have fled to then suddenly identical twins became rampant. Preliminary studies have shown the people in the village all seem to have a common material DNA strand that is causing embryos to split producing identical twins. No Nazi science strangeness.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 10:51 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• My understanding is that fraternal twins are genetic, through the mother's side of the family only. Identical twins are not genetic.
    Jemma4000

Answer by Jemma4000 at 11:03 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• Maybe this will help... I am a fraternal twin and my aunt (my mom's sister) has identical twin girls. I do not have twins and neither do my brothers. On my father's side, there are no twins. From what I was told, don't know if its true, twins skip a generation. My mom had us at the age of 24
    Chele18504

Answer by Chele18504 at 11:32 PM on Jan. 9, 2010