How do we get our two year old to sleep in his own room?

My husband and I share our bed with our 2 yr old every night and we tried letting him fall asleep and moving him and no matter what he wakes up in the middle of the night. He will not go into his room he will stay up and scream all night or he is in and out of our room and his. Anyone know what we can do?

3crazyboyz473

Asked by 3crazyboyz473 at 10:52 PM on Jan. 9, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I have a suggestion, but you probably won't like it.
    My husband and I don't believe in co-sleeping. We believe it is not healthy for the kids, or for our relationship.
    So, here is a method I guarantee will work... but the key is to be 100% consistent. 100% of the time. You will get tired and want to break, but if you do this I guarantee it will be worth the trouble.
    1. Do your bedtime routine, ie; bath, teeth, book... whatever you do.
    2. Explain that it is time to start sleeping in his own 'big boy' bed and let him help make the bed/ turn it down etc.
    3. Place him in the bed and turn off the light, sit at the door with your back turned to him and do not talk or make eye contact at all.
    4. He will get up, it is inevetable... just pick him up and put him back, without talking to him at all and return to your place.
    5. Every time he gets up, return him. He may cry, scream, yell at you, tell you 'you don't love me'...
    CONT >>
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 11:00 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• 6. Don't believe that. You ARE a good mama and you will be glad when it is over.
    7. He keeps getting up, keep placing him back. Do not waver. This may take 3 times of getting up, or it may take 300 times of getting up. Just keep placing him back and return to your place, back turned, sitting on the floor. Remember through all of this, no communication at all.
    8. FINALLY he will get tired and go to sleep. Just understand that it may take minutes, or HOURS... just don't give up!!
    9. GO TO BED WITH YOUR HUBBY!!!

NOW - the next day... Repeat the process the exact same way, except move to outside his door where he doesn't see you instead of inside the room. Again, no communication, just keep placing him back.
    Repeat this every night for as long as it takes. I can almost guarantee that it won't take more than 2-3 nights before he understands that you mean business.

Good luck! Let me know what you think and how it goes.
    CONT>>>
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 11:04 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• Be strong and know that you WILL win the battle and you and hubby deserve your own bed to yourselves!! You can do it mama!
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 11:05 PM on Jan. 9, 2010