Why do people think that a GED and high school diploma are "equivalent" to one another?

If this was the case, I, myself would have gotten a GED. So would a lot of people with MBAs and PHds.

If you want a GED, fine, your choice and future, but why not accept that they are not, and never will be, the same thing?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:10 PM on Jan. 9, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• "I don't have to prove anything to you. You've already proven yourself an uneducated, narrow-minded, dipshit. :) Oh and by the way, I didn't get a GED. :)"

Proof to me that any idiot can graduate high school.
    Anonymous

• Because it is not politically correct to say one is better than the other. If you do than you might offend those poor drop outs who laer decide they f***** up and go get a GED.
    Anonymous

• I know tons of people that got GEDS and went on to get MBA and Phds. So...what the hell are you talking about?

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 11:12 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• I think if you intend to only have a GED or a Diploma for your whole life then your a loser either way.
    Hali_Taylor

Answer by Hali_Taylor at 11:13 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• legalmommy, I'd love to know who.
    Anonymous

• Because in many aspects, they are. Most jobs that require a diploma will also say, "Or equivalent". I'm not saying I condone dropping out in favor of getting a GED, but most colleges will accept either, most jobs will accept either, and many people who have a GED go on to universities and good jobs. Not as many as those with diplomas, but not all people with GEDs are working at McDonalds, either.
    Iskkra

Answer by Iskkra at 11:15 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• Well, to be completely blunt: I was raped for 7 years of my life and was never supposed to be able to have kids. I got pregnant in highschool and had severe pre-eclampsia... I suppose I could have had an abortion, but I didn't choose that route. My Mother and I went to my highschool principal and she refused to help me. I was sick and had to be on bed rest, and her response was "Well, you might as well drop out because there isn't anything I can do for you".

So, I dropped out. I didn't have a choice. I suppose you can say that "you might offend those poor drop outs who laer decide they f***** up and go get a GED" is the answer as to why some people don't like it when you say there is a difference... But there really isn't. As long as you go to class and make C-D averages you can graduate highschool.

I did so well on my GED that I was granted my actual highschool diploma in its place with a 2.9 GPA and I'm damn proud.
    Anonymous

• I think you are confused. A GED is equivalent to a high school diploma. An MBA and/or PhD is totally different and way more advanced. You really think someone with an MBA or PhD just could have gotten a GED and it would have been the same thing?
    Jemma4000

Answer by Jemma4000 at 11:16 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• "Not as many as those with diplomas"

My point exactly.
    Anonymous

• ANYONE can go far in college with a GED. Most universities will take it right away some just require a few credits from a community college.
    Why be such a jerk about it? At least some are still trying to further their education instead of sitting on cafemom complaining about someone having a GED
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 11:17 PM on Jan. 9, 2010