Do you buy gifts for other peoples pets?!?

I was reading the 'Ladies' Home Journal' magazine and this woman asked a question that was something like "Do I have to buy gifts for my sister's pets? She recently got mad at me for not buying her dog and cat Christmas gifts because she sees them as family."

The advice columnist said yes, she does have to buy them gifts because her sister sees them as family and it is callous to not buy them anything.

What is your take on something like this? Have you ever bought someone else's pet a gift for the holidays?

VintageWife

Asked by VintageWife at 11:43 PM on Jan. 9, 2010 in Just for Fun

• OMG. NO. I'm not buying a gift for anyone's dumb animal, I don't care if they think they're family.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 11:46 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• lol no!
    lifelovinmom

Answer by lifelovinmom at 11:47 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• NOPE! I actually find that HILARIOUS!
    I am not a pet person. I just don't like them. But I do understand that people do love their pets, but to expect others to share their feelings is ludicrous! If it was my sister complaining I didn't buy a gift for her dog, she wouldn't be getting a gift from me next year either.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 11:47 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• I wouldn't expect anyone to buy our dogs a gift,lol.. I didn't even buy them a Christmas gift.lol
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 11:48 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• I have a group of friends who are childless and chose to have fur babies. It's understood in the group that we have doggie birthday parties and the dogs get presents for "each other."

Otherwise, no.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 11:49 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

LOL Cute! I buy my SIL's pets gifts. Neither of them have children and probably never will. Honestly it's easier for me to find something cool for their pet and give that as their gift, well and the pets gift too. I have no idea what to get them ever so the pet gifts make holidays easier!

Now if I felt like I was FORCED to buy a gift for the pet then no, I probably wouldn't do it.
    bgcmommy

Answer by bgcmommy at 11:54 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• I bought a cool toy for my BFF's dog for xmas he loves ice cubes so i got a toy she could put in the freezer, she bought my dog a new coat and a dress. I will say this is the only friend I do this with, I dont buy gifts for other peoples pets and i dont expect them to buy gifts for mine. This one friend and I just ike spoiling each others pets and since we are no longer having babies they are our babies :)
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 12:08 AM on Jan. 10, 2010

• hahaha no. if my SIL (no kids yet) got mad at me for not buying her dog a gift id tell her to put on her big girl panties & suck it up. there are much bigger things in life to get mad over! that advice columnist is off her game.

but then i am NOT an animal person & really dont understand ppl who call their pets their "babies".
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 12:23 AM on Jan. 10, 2010

• I have pets, but I don't get them gifts, and do not expect anyone else to get them gifts either. I don't understand people who treat their pets as people. I think it is crazy. Seriously.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 1:59 AM on Jan. 10, 2010

• I buy my pet gifts, I don't expect other people to.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:03 AM on Jan. 10, 2010