Bodies... TheExhibition ~ Does it bother you??

While at work today I made the comment that I see no point in a funeral (for myself) and that I was hoping to have my body donated to science. At that point I became the "monster." One of the other women said that she was okay with science but was very highly against those scientists that "chopped up those poor Chinese guys." I wasn't sure what she meant, so I asked. She said she was talking about the Bodies Exhibition in the city. I said I didn't understand, they donated their bodies, and "it's not like they can feel anything."

She FREAKED!!! She completely lost her mind because "YOU DON'T KNOW THAT!" and "It's a disgusting display of the human body." She said that while I may have my own beliefs, she knows that they feel everything and they are not able to go to heaven because they are trapped in those chopped up bodies watching everyone walk past...

cont...

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 12:00 AM on Jan. 10, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Anyway, further in to the conversation I found out that apparently I am the only one not highly angered at display.

When the exhibition came in to the city it was protested. I don't get it. Why? Does it really bother people that much??

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:02 AM on Jan. 10, 2010

• i don't get it..if the bodies are dead, how are they feeling anything, much less know who gawking at them? perhaps i'm missing something? she sounds like a quack, though.

and i feel ya about the funeral-thing..i have no desire to be on display as a dead chick with flowers strewn all around..of course, i'm not gonna know it or be there (spiritually speaking). a body is a body, right? besides, funerals are for the living..have a dang party rather than spend the money on a funeral/flowers/etc.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 12:08 AM on Jan. 10, 2010

• I agree with thehair she sounds like a nut job. Forget her.
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 12:10 AM on Jan. 10, 2010

• wow...where do you live?

we missed the bodies when the came here to OKC. i was really upset cause i wanted to see them. i think its amazing to be able to see the insides of the human body & that it shows how we all look the same on the inside. i think it upsets ppl b/c they assume the artist didnt have permission to use the bodies.

what religion is she? i only know of a few Christian denominations that believe our bodies stay w/ us in the after life.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 12:13 AM on Jan. 10, 2010

• nutjob

But I still wouldn't go see it - 7th grade biology cured me of any fascination I may have had with anatomy, and now being near a corpse triggers this gag reflex memory of that class (no ventilation and a teacher who didn't believe in basic hygiene).
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:31 AM on Jan. 10, 2010

• You know, I also was disturbed by the display and avoided it. My children were horrified. However I also talked to my kids about science and research. We discussed that some of the research done is done on dead bodies. Just because we don't see it doesn't make it less real or less necessary and valid. But, I don't think that this was science and I believe that it was done with the sole purpose of desensitizing the general public of dead bodies. My opinion only. I felt it was innaproppriate.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:34 AM on Jan. 10, 2010

• I found it fascinating, and I'm pretty squeamish about blood and guts. It was not at all like looking at a corpse in a morgue. We got to see every muscle, bone, and tissue of the body as if the people were still alive, just frozen and in layers. There were several interesting displays, like what cancer cells look like, how the diaphragm looks in motion, and what the blood vessels look like by themselves. There was a section on pregnancy, but there was a walk-around for those who didn't want to see it.

These people donated their bodies for the betterment of science. They are definitely dead, and their brains and nervous systems ceased functioning long ago, so it's ridiculous to think they can still see and feel everything just like a living person does.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 12:47 AM on Jan. 10, 2010

• No, it has never bothered me and I find it absolutely fascinating. This is a regular exhibit at the Science and Industry Museum, in Chicago, and I've always enjoyed it from a scientific viewpoint. I too don't see the point of me having a funeral for my remains. I've asked my family to donate whatever parts are viable and cremate the rest. Spend the money on a party and celebrate my life. It would also be great if everybody wore white, instead of the dismal black.

Ewadun

Answer by Ewadun at 12:47 AM on Jan. 10, 2010

• I hated it and I thought it was gross so I didn't go, my daughter wanted to go and she went with her science group. She came home disgusted.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:51 AM on Jan. 10, 2010

• I wanted to go so bad, but I missed it when it came to my city. If it ever comes back, I will be going and taking my boys.

I would love to donate my body to science, and if my husband dies before I do, I will. He has a problem with me doing it, and I'm not really sure why? He hates that I'm an organ donor, just because he doesn't like the possibility of some one else walking around with my eyes/heart/ or whatever. The way I see it, i'll already be dead, so what do I need them for. If my body can help to make someone else's life fuller, than great!
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 1:43 AM on Jan. 10, 2010