how did you approach potty training and what worked for you

My son will be 2.5 in February. He is still in diapers. He tells me when he poo's but afterward. He does not tell me when he pees. He is dry in between changes and sometimes completely dry when I go to change him. We tried to potty train when he turned 2 but he would just sit there for a long period of time and get frustrated that he had to sit there. I have no idea how to even begin.

lovinmyhubby

Asked by lovinmyhubby at 12:10 AM on Jan. 10, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

Level 1 (-25 Credits)
  • had the same problem with my son sitting there. i gave him jelly beans though at first just to get him to sit there. which went over really well with him bc he was mostly a stranger to candy except at his g-ma's house. then when he went potty i made a HUGE deal out of it. you went potty!!!! and gave him another piece. then he realized pretty quick in the mornings what he had to do to get candy. i kept him "on a schedule" and in a couple of weeks he was fully trained. i gave him two candies for poop and one for pee. he loved it! eventually i stopped giving him the candy and he didn't even notice. now he goes on his own without even telling me most of the time. he learned to stand up and pee much later though. he as about 2.5 when fully out of diapers.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 12:35 AM on Jan. 10, 2010

• We used gummy worms. Told him that if he went in the potty he would get one. We also told him that he couldnt go to preschool unless he went in the potty instead of his diaper. I would also try maybe putting him in pullup, we did also and he was excited about moving up into them cuz we told him they were for big boys. Then he realized that diapers were for babies and big boys go in the potty.
    silveradogirl

Answer by silveradogirl at 6:50 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• We had to try like 4 different times, until he was ready and my sister inlaw told me I had to be ready as well, because with diapers you can wait until you get out of the checkout line in the store with underwear you gotta get out of liine LOL so I waited until I was completely ready for the messes, the chaos (I was pregnant when he was potty training) changing sheets at 3 in the morning, and giving up my space in the checkout line, even for a false alarm. He didnt like the stickers and the big fuss for going potty, he just liked feel his own accomplishment, every few times he would go I would say "okay you go and i will be back when your finished" and wait outside the door, and let him call me back and by the sound of his voice I would know whether or not to praise him! DONT use pull ups they dont understand why they should pee/poop in the toilet when they have a diaper on, use the really thick training underwear.
    mommy0689

Answer by mommy0689 at 12:07 PM on Jan. 24, 2010