Do you hate it when moms think that they can parent your children?

I have a mom "friend", I say it in apostraphes because honestly, I'm not sure what she is here lately. Anyhow, she has always been the mom who is quick to correct everyone else's kids. That does not bother me for the most part, but today her older child took a toy from my 9 month old and threw it at her and she sat and did nothing! And yes, she saw what happened, she was maybe 2 feet away. Now I am quite annoyed (I was slightly before just due to how overbearing she is becoming) that she thinks she can parent my children, yet she chooses not to parent her own! Who does she think she is!? I am contemplating whether I should say something as tactfully as I can to her or just keep away from her for awhile and see what happens?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:23 AM on Jan. 10, 2010 in Just for Fun

• If I were you I would say something to her, be polite about it at first and if that doesn't work then let her have it some ppl just think that they are 'know it alls' example of what i experience is my MIL she will take my son for a weekend or couple days and then tells me all about him like I don't know him it's really aggravating and i hate it but ppl like that and i get annoyed
    jsimonds220

Answer by jsimonds220 at 12:40 AM on Jan. 10, 2010

• i do this sometimes, usually it's a no! don't touch or calm down. but i parent my child too. WAY more when someone else is around.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 12:29 AM on Jan. 10, 2010

• i probably would have said something to the kid (in front of your "friend") if she can correct other people's kids, then she should be fine with other people correcting her kid...probably, she's not ok with that but it could have led to a discussion about how her actions make others feel...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:29 AM on Jan. 10, 2010

• OH OH OH I know someone like this! I finally got her out of my life sort of lol I still have to see her because our kids go to school together and are friends and are invovled in the same activities but I so completely understand what you are going through.

I finally decided we wouldnt see her family on a social basis anymore, there were some pretty bad situations that led up to it but I have felt so good about our decison not to be around them. My children are much happier and so am I.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 12:30 AM on Jan. 10, 2010

• OP: I almost got ready to do just as you said anon, and correct her child, but another friend who was over actually did so first before I even could. She did so so casually and nicely though it seemed a far cry from how the other "friend" parents the other kids. I think she just said "Oh, let me put this up so we don't hurt the baby." very indirect and easy going as I would expect from any other mom.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:40 AM on Jan. 10, 2010

• It can be annoying when a Mom is like that but I don't HATE anyone.
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 12:42 AM on Jan. 10, 2010

• OP: You misread. I do not hate this woman at all. Very annoyed by her, but I don't hate her. I hate IT when she tries to parent my children and does not parent her own. I hate the situation she has created, not her. Sorry, just clarifying. I, too, do not hate anyone.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:48 AM on Jan. 10, 2010

• I didn't say that I hated anyone I love my MIL I just hate when she does that.
    jsimonds220

Answer by jsimonds220 at 12:57 AM on Jan. 10, 2010

• HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Sounds like my mil!! She does it when I am RIGHT THERE!
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 12:58 AM on Jan. 10, 2010

• OP: I think she just misread the question, jsimonds220. It says "Do you hate it when..." maybe she read it as "Do you hate moms who..." Who knows!?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:58 AM on Jan. 10, 2010