Hairstylists- can you get platinum blonde without using bleach?

Last year I had a hairstylist that I was going to. She did a perfect job in getting my medium brown hair highlighted with platinum blonde- she used bleach. But, sadly, she no longer does hair. So, I have been to about four different stylists since then, none that cannot get me back this color. I am always looking somewhat brassy. None of them have actually used bleach. They say it's bad and that this color will work, etc.. etc... But, it never does. So, is it possible to achieve a platinum blonde without using bleach and if not, why aren't they using it???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:45 AM on Jan. 10, 2010 in Beauty & Style

• as a hairstylist i usually always use bleach to get the platinum blonde and if the client is pregnant i use foils for the highlights and make sure i get the bleach as close to the scalp but not touching your scalp
    Naralie

Answer by Naralie at 4:26 AM on Jan. 10, 2010

• Alot of stylists insist on not using bleach on clients because they are pregnant, nursing or just because they are bad with using bleaches. If a woman is pregnant or nursing the chemical in bleach can contaminate your body mostly by inhalation and even through the skin. The second reason that most stylists do not use bleach is because it takes experience to mix the peroxide and powder bleach in the right consistancy. If the bleach is made too strong it can burn off the hair, strip the hair, or cause severe chemical damage. If it is mixed wrong, it will turn orange, sometimes green. In the worst case scenario the scalp can burn and it can cause great disconfort and possibly permanant damage to the skin or hair loss. Styists do not like liabilities or dealing with time consuming measuring. They prefer to buy things already mixed and measured with little or no side effects. Your best bet is to find a hair dresser whom is older.
    ccmello

Answer by ccmello at 1:01 AM on Jan. 10, 2010

• The answer is simply no, platinum blonde is not truly a color it is the absence of color on the hair, hair dye can actually be worse for you. I was researching what is and isn't safe during pregnancy and dyes are usually worse than bleach because bleach only as the hydrogen peroxide which our body filters out like water so it won't reach the baby where hair dyes contain some weird crap. Tell them you want bleach and dont take no for an answer, and tell them easy on the toner if they use it at all.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 1:54 AM on Jan. 10, 2010

• yes if your hair is a level 7 or above I can get it to platinum,anything darker then a level 7 gets bleached
    wyattgrace

Answer by wyattgrace at 9:14 AM on Jan. 10, 2010