When it's your time...

Do you believe that we all have a "time to die?" I've heard the saying "It was her time," "You can't cheat death," and "Death was at the door step." A number of times.

While watching Charmed (which I know is fiction) there was an episode where the "angel of death" had a list of names and he came for those on it. They said, you can't beat death. Death is not evil and it is not great, simply inevitable.

I made the comment to my DH that I believed very similarly. He says I'm crazy! I believe that our Natural deaths are predestined. Unfortunately, there are other factors to this world such as murder and accident that can take a person before their time.

Anyways, I was just wondering for people that believe your death is fated; how to you view this?? Is it 100% up to fate?

Is death fated in cases of murder? If that's the case doesn't it excuse murderers because that person's death was fated to be in that moment anyways??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:02 AM on Jan. 10, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• God had different plans for us than to be on this Earth so when it is time to go, it is time to go
    jsimonds220

Answer by jsimonds220 at 1:08 AM on Jan. 10, 2010

• I also beleive that God has us on this earth for a purpose. When we have served that purpose, He will call us home. Accidents, murder, etc. out of our control is not part of His plan.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:16 AM on Jan. 10, 2010

• While I do agree that death is inevitable, I do not agree that there is a predetermined time or manner in which one dies.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 2:01 AM on Jan. 10, 2010

• I agree with Kristi.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 6:46 AM on Jan. 10, 2010

• I believe that God knows our path before we are even born. I believe there is a passage in the bible that states, Before I formed you in the womb, I knew you. He knows before we are born what our life path will be, our lessons that need to be learned, and even when we are to leave the earth. Accidents, murder, abortion, ect are all in His plan. That's why, I believe, that some of the great souls on this earth die young. They have a shorter time to achieve their goals so they do them faster, which makes them great. That's just my opinion.
    MrsMorgan91

Answer by MrsMorgan91 at 9:22 AM on Jan. 10, 2010

• I believe in karma moreso than fate. Karma essentially comes down to cause and effect. When it comes to a predestined time of death, I think it's a combination of the cards we're dealt (ie. our genetics) and the choices we make. I don't think it's predestined ahead of time. For instance, I have this body and my life will last as long as it functions. I have choices to make: I can take good care of myself, or I can smoke four packs a day and live solely on chocolate bars and french fries. Those choices are going to make a difference in how long I live. Even though it's not certain (ie. I can take good care of myself and still have a genetic predisposition to cancer or get murdered or hit by a truck) I can stack the odds in my favour by the choices I make. I have some input in the outcome, this to me is not 'fate.'
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 10:12 AM on Jan. 10, 2010

• I also agree with Kristi...
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 10:38 AM on Jan. 10, 2010

• I don't think there is a time of death pre-scheduled for us. I think our actions can sometimes give us a time line, that will show about where we could die when you take in a persons health, diet, medical history and genetics.. but there is no specific date. And you can't account for things that come up out of the blue. Such as a child that catches the H1N1 and passes. Or a woman in her 20's that is murdered.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:59 AM on Jan. 10, 2010

• No I do not think our death is fated....I think how we live our lives and the paths we choose on our own free will determine our lives.
    I don't think there is any predestined path we walk on. THat would negate the whole "free will" idea that people say God gives them.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 11:20 AM on Jan. 10, 2010

• What an intriguing question!! I guess I'm half and half. I believe we all have a work to do here on earth. Once we've finished that work, then we will die when we die. But if our work isn't finished and say we are in a horrible car accident, or been attacked, whatever, then I believe we will live through it. However, our choices play a large part in this as well. If we choose to go down dark and evil paths, then whether we did the work we were supposed to do or not, I don't think death will hold off for us. Is that just confusing or what!!
    avpriddis

Answer by avpriddis at 11:55 AM on Jan. 10, 2010