Freaking out- Insurance/assistance fraud

For my entire pregnancy and now my daughters first year of life, i had medicaid (as did she after birth) and for the last year we have gotten food assistance too.
I had no idea when I signed up for anything that I would be required to give the fathers name.....but when my daughter was 3 months i got a letter that I needed to give his information. I was so scared to do this b/c he was not around yet would tell me he wanted custody and yet he never came to see her and was drinking every night and doing who knows what....So I lied and in writing I said that I did not know who he was, and that we had a relationship for one night only and I had made a big mistake...basically i made myself look like a tramp.

I am in school and I hate being on assistance. Now to make maters worse, my daughters father is filing papers to get paternity established....i am fearing what will happen if they find out I lied.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:14 AM on Jan. 10, 2010 in General Parenting

• My question is :
    1) I am canceling all of my benefits ASAP bc I do not know exactly when he is going to file papers....will I at least get some credit that I cancelled before I was caught.
    2) Will they even find out if things go to court but i do not file for child support? I do not plan to file, if this will mean that my case will be reopened and they will look and see that I have written documentation of lying about the whereabouts of this guy.
    3) Will they show me any mercy, if I agree to pay the money back.
    Im scared I might face really harsh penalties, and I was just trying to keep my daughter protected...I knew that if her father had to pay child support or any money to the government, it would be like he just wanted to see her bc he was paying for her, and I did not want her in that environment.
    Please help if you know any information on this. I only had good intentions :(
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:16 AM on Jan. 10, 2010

• Most likely ( but it would be hard for them to determine if you lied or not) they would take your assistance away at the worst
    jsimonds220

Answer by jsimonds220 at 1:17 AM on Jan. 10, 2010

• DAM GIRL ! ! YOUR ASS IS GRASS ! MAYBE !
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:20 AM on Jan. 10, 2010

• They don't have to know you lied. They have no way of proving it. If they question you about it at all, all you have to do is say that you weren't ONLY sleeping with him when you conceived. They can't prove you wrong. The only one who would know the truth is you! Don't worry about it! It's not a big deal and they won't even question you about it, I'll bet!

BTW unless it is a court ordered paternity test, YOU have to consent in order for them to take one!
    Mrs.Mack.

Answer by Mrs.Mack. at 1:20 AM on Jan. 10, 2010

• Most likely your benifits would cease if you recieve enough child support that you are over income for assistance. You should have been forthright with them, but now that is water under the bridge. If you drop the assistance there is still a chance they will go after him to recoup some of the medical expenses, as many states do this.
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 1:23 AM on Jan. 10, 2010

• Well, in the letter I provided, I said I did not know the guys name.....basically , I admitted to a one night stand bc besides for rape, nothing else will work,and I was certainly not going to go that far....
    and what if the father has proof that he has been around at all? He did give me a bit of money at one point, so there is proof of that, and he has a couple pictures on his phone. (He came around in the beginning briefly)....
    This would prove I did have his name at least.......and that means I committed fraud.

I am cancelling as soon as possible though, if that will help any, I sure hope so. :(
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:25 AM on Jan. 10, 2010

• To answer your questions:

1: DO NOT cancel anything..that only makes you look more guilty!

2:Just because they have written docs stating that you thought you knew where your "baby's daddy" might be, all you have to say is that he was only ONE of the POSSIBILITIES of who the father might have been.

3: because you were "sleeping with more than one guy at the time *wink,wink*" they can't prove that you lied about anything...after all, why would you bring him up if you weren't married to him when you conceived and he "might not have been" your baby's daddy.
    Mrs.Mack.

Answer by Mrs.Mack. at 1:27 AM on Jan. 10, 2010

• Don't freak out, just cuz he is saying he is going to file papers he might just not he might be doing that to scare you, if he does file papers and they find out that he is the Father it's not like they can prove anything and that kind of stuff happens all the time, mothers don't know who the father etc. etc. I wouldn't cancel your benefits and just let the whole thing play it self out, you won't get in trouble but if you start cancelling things it will make things really suspicious, you wont get in trouble.

Remember don't ever volunteer information and when asked questions answer them to the best of your knowledge.

looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 1:27 AM on Jan. 10, 2010

• sorry I just read what I typed and my grammar is ridiculous, I'm trying to watch a movie and type. Don't cancel and don't volunteer info, you will not get in trouble this kind of thing happens everyday, don't be scared and good luck.

looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 1:31 AM on Jan. 10, 2010

• Well, I have to cancel my insurance anyways, bc I am going to be reciving insurance under a parent bc I am in college full time, and am still under the age limit.....I cannot have dual insurance and I would rather not have medicaid for myself anyways with all of this going on.......I do not think that will be very suspicious, bc I am just being honest. I am moving back in with my parents so I will have to change my address and whenever you do that you have to be evaluated again. I just cannot afford insurance for my son right now, so I do not know what to do :/
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:32 AM on Jan. 10, 2010