Bored 5 year old gets distructive and unhappy ...

My oldest son is nearly 6, extremely smart but very challenging. He constantly needs to be occupied or he destroys things and breaks rules for attention, not caring if the attention he gets is good or bad. He wanted to play football this year and we complied, it improved his attitude and behavior immensely but now that football is over we are struggling with what to do with him. I want to nurture him without defining him with one thing or another. I just took a severe pay cut at work and money is limited but all recommendations will be seriously considered and we will find a way to fund whatever we can do to assist him! He enjoys puzzles but they only hold his attention for so long, he seems to enjoy very physical things but I don't want him to get hurt :)

Daylex

Asked by Daylex at 1:22 AM on Jan. 10, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• what about another sport that is in season if he enjoys sports, like hockey or maybe even taking him skating??
    jsimonds220

Answer by jsimonds220 at 1:35 AM on Jan. 10, 2010

• I have a son that had similar issues.. I made a chart that was laminated. It had his basic chores for morning, school time (teacher would make comments on the day for me) and his night time tasks. I had each day of the week for a month/ 4 weeks. I would buy tiny stickers for the chart and he would earn a little sticker for each task preformed and done right. After a week he would get a prize for his behavior. Small prizes for decent behavior like a smile sticker to wear on his hand for the day, and for excellent weeks he could have a special mommy and kiddo day like "ice cream sundays at friendlies" When kids have to earn things for behavior they try harder to behave... after a month of great behavior I would make a whole day of things to do and bring one of his friends to join us... we would have a pic-nic, then go to the zoo and then the playground!!!

ccmello

Answer by ccmello at 1:40 AM on Jan. 10, 2010

• your local recreation center should have cheap sports otherwise send out flyers asking other parents to get their kids to play tag football for fun maybe there are other people in your situation where you live.
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 1:42 AM on Jan. 10, 2010

• Another thin I do is have my kiddo help in the daily tasks... When we make banana bread I put the peeled bananas in a ziplock bag and have the kiddo smosh them up while I creme the butter and sugar... then I have my 5 year old mix in everything together and help scoop the mix into the baking pan. My kids are SO PROUD of themselves when they see what they helped create! My kids also love doing the stuff we normally do not ask for help doing... In produce I'll squat down to their level and describe a veggie or fruit to them and they go find it! I'll say I need something long, orange and bunnies think they are yummy... what do I want? my kids sometimes try to beat one another and sometimes they work as a team and find my item!
    ccmello

Answer by ccmello at 1:46 AM on Jan. 10, 2010

• If you have a local YMCA, I'd check into what they offer, sometimes you can get a membership fairly cheaply and then take advantage of all they offer.

Maybe get him involved in martial arts or other sports that are going this time of year.

Good luck.
    Cafe Jenn

Answer by Cafe Jenn at 2:17 PM on Jan. 11, 2010

• The other moms provided some really great ideas for keeping your son busy and occupied.

Here are links to some additional articles that will help you in deling with the underlying emotional issues involved.

Moody Kids: How to Respond to Pouting, Whining and Sulking

Does Your Child Say This? “That's boring!”

Mom-Online

Answer by Mom-Online at 10:48 AM on Jan. 12, 2010

• I am taking him to a meeting tonight that is supposed to serve as his introduction to a mixed martial arts academy in town, at only $99 a month for up to 8 meetings a week (he can go as many or as few as he wants) I figure it is a bargain and worth a shot! I printed the article on Moody Kids and also assigned him some activities around the house and when he is at work with me he has homework and some little odds and ends stuff to do. Thanks for the input ladies!
    Daylex

Answer by Daylex at 2:03 PM on Jan. 12, 2010