bassinett beside my bed or in crib in other room with baby monitor......

I have my little one comming any day now and i have a 31/2yr old son they will eventually be sharing a room together, I think my son will have some jealousy issues in the beginning so i was just wondering if you would think it would be better to sleep my newborn in a bassinett beside the bed so i can keep a better eye on him or would putting him right into the crib with a baby monitor in the room be a better idea?

jsimonds220

Asked by jsimonds220 at 1:44 AM on Jan. 10, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Bassinette by the bed. Babies need to eat so often at first you'd be waking up your 3 y/o and making yourself get up out of bed unnecessarily.. You're not going to be able to nap as much this time around so you definitely will need the extra sleep that'll be afforded by baby being right next to you where you can lift baby out put baby on the breast, feed, and put baby right back and drift right back off.. it'll be much more convenient for you..

I didn't move my son to his crib til he slept through the night at 6 months -- he did outgrow his bassinette before then so I put him in his packnplay next to the bed til he slept through. It went without a hitch or tear.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:36 AM on Jan. 10, 2010

• Keep him close you have to feed so often at night that you will make your older child up.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 1:48 AM on Jan. 10, 2010

• i had my boys in a bassinett for 3 months by me and then 3 months in a play pin in our room then in a crib in there own room!
    Lacrisha

Answer by Lacrisha at 2:10 AM on Jan. 10, 2010

• I agree keep him close. Especially because you have an older child. Often older kids try to "help" and can hurt the baby without meaning to. It will also keep your older child from waking every time the baby does.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 2:53 AM on Jan. 10, 2010

• I have my daughter's crib at the foot of our bed. She's almost 5 months now. We never did the bassinet. She's slept in the crib since day 1.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 10:59 AM on Jan. 10, 2010

• We started with the bassinet, then moved her to her crib at three months. She is practically sharing a room with my 3 year old (seperate rooms but we keep the door between rooms open.) We had no problem with the move but we mmade sure to talk with our 3 year old about not putting stuff in the crib, or not touching the baby.
    lilysmom2607

Answer by lilysmom2607 at 11:29 AM on Jan. 10, 2010