Hubby is having severe lower back pain..?

DH's back has been hurting for about 2 weeks. Since yesterday, he's been barely able to move around because it hurts so bad. The pain is about two inches to the left of his spine, where there belt of his pants go. It originally hurt on the right instead of the left but for the past few days it has hurt on the left. It's slightly swolen. He said it feel like a sortof jolt like he's being shocked. He said the longer he sits down and then stand up, it hurts. When he starts walking around it goes away mostly. When he sits down and gets back up again, it hurts again.
What should I search to find out what the problem is? He cant get to the doctor for a few days and cant leave work for that long so we're looking for anything that coud help.

SpiritedTigress

Asked by SpiritedTigress at 5:22 AM on Jan. 10, 2010 in Health

• Hot baths, hot showers, icy hot, ice, massage, heating pad, ibuprofen, legs up. These are my remedies for my always hurting back and hips so that may help him.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 5:24 AM on Jan. 10, 2010

• It sounds like sciatica, which sadly once you have it there's no getting rid of it. I have it from lifting things with poor form. In order to soothe it he could take ibuprofen or tylenol. I prefer ibuprofen but if it's not working and he's in a lot of pain he'll have to take a lot (I was up to 4 pills at a time at one point) and it can be bad for your liver. My favorite now is the Tylenol Rapid Release Gels. You can massage him a little in the area of his lower back and his butt. Sounds weird but he will feel very grateful because it feels really good! Also, like the other mom said heat and/or ice but since it's a nerve issue that doesn't always help. When he goes to the doctor ask about a pain cream. My aunt has it and it is AMAZING!! Good luck
    mommy_erin

Answer by mommy_erin at 5:35 AM on Jan. 10, 2010

• Heat in the morning, ice at night.
    Ibuprofen three times a day (unless he is on a medication that should not be mixed with it) Do not take this medicine with any of the following medications:
    •cidofovir
    •ketorolac
    •methotrexate
    •pemetrexed

This medicine may also interact with the following medications:
    •alcohol
    •aspirin
    •diuretics
    •lithium
    •other drugs for inflammation like prednisone
    •warfarin

Answer by rkoloms at 7:28 AM on Jan. 10, 2010

• It's sciatica (SY-atti-Kah). The sciatic nerves originate from between, and both sides of the lumbar spine (curve of lower back), and continue over the butt cheeks and down the backs of your legs to about the knee joint.

The BEST remedy I have found (I have ocassional flare ups), is a topical ointment called Zostrix. You can buy it OTC at any larger pharmacy like CVS or Walgreens. It's like Ben Gay, but MUCH better! A tube will last a lifetime! Literally a little dab of the stuff massaged in over the site where the pain is most intense will last until your next shower, and intense heat can be felt if the area gets sweaty--but it feels great! Be sure to wear latex gloves when applying.

Laying on a hard surface on your back, and bringing knees to chest to reverse the low back curve can alleviate some of the pressure and accompanying pain.

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:49 AM on Jan. 10, 2010

• All of the advice that everyone has given you so far is great advice. The main thing is that he doesn't lift anything or bend too much. I deal with back pain everyday of my life. He needs to try hot and cold on his back. Try hot for an hour and then try ice. Ice on for 15 minutes and off for 15 minutes. He doesn't want nerve damage from leaving the ice on for too long. IBprophen is the way to go because it takes down the inflamation. I hope he doesn't have a sensative stomach because too much ibprophen is hard on the stomach. Tell him to try and lay flat on the floor for a while. The hard surface might hurt at first but it will help. Also have him soak in a hot tub for awhile. the moist heat will help. I hope that he finds some kind of relief!! God Bless
    Tracihoney

Answer by Tracihoney at 8:18 AM on Jan. 10, 2010

• Sounds like acute sciatica. I have this too. I know this may sound stupid, but PLEASE bear with me....
    When he lays down, have him put a "flat pillow"(everyone has one of those old flat retired pillows that they just can't seem to throw out...Well I have a large collection of them anyway...) under his tummy. It helps relieve a little bit of the strain. When he does get to the doc, ask the doc to p[prescribe some flexeral and TENS UNIT. A tens unit is like little sticky patches that you put on your back and the control thing sends little electric shocks to the area(OMFG, It's a life saver!!!!) also, rub some vicks and put a hot towel on the area. There's some stretches you can do too. Ask the doc about getting some physical therapy for him as well.
    Good luck and I hope he feels better!!!
    Starfire73

Answer by Starfire73 at 8:39 AM on Jan. 10, 2010

• Sciatica. Definitely. My fix for it is a bit different than the PPs. I help it by lying on a bed, on my stomach, with just my shoulders and head hanging off of the bed. This hurts, a lot, at first. But after a few moments of getting used to the position, bring your arms up and put your hands on the back of your head, and put slow, firm pressure on your neck, bringing your head down towards the floor. You can really feel the lower back stretch during this movement. If you hang out in this position for as long as you can, it can release the pressure from the lower back by stretching the ligaments and vertabrae enough that movement is possible. When I feel a sciatic attack coming on, I do this 2-3 times a day, and it almost always helps to avoid the attack.
    Iskkra

Answer by Iskkra at 9:30 AM on Jan. 10, 2010

• Ibuprofen NOT TYLENOL. Ibuprofen reduces the inflammation that causes the problem while tylenol only blocks the pain without fixing anything. Also look up exercises online for sciatica. I have it and thought I'd die with the pain but with Physical Therapy I was able to get back to almost normal and now with Massage Therapy I'm no longer in pain. I do have to take Motrin 3 times a day to keep down the inflammation and I do stretches that keeps my muscles flexible. On me, the piriformis muscle is pushing against the sciatic nerve so I have to keep it flexible so it won't push on the s. nerve. Start the heat 20 min and then ice 20 min regiment to get started. Then stretch and then you can massage him and he'll be up and moving around in no time.

Answer by admckenzie at 11:42 AM on Jan. 10, 2010

• he could see a chiropractor. My dh is a chiropractor and has horrible sciatica! It is MUCH worse for him when he is stressed out. He gets adjusted once a week to keep it in check. When it is bad, he does not sit, he even eats while standing. the only problem i have with pain meds, is that if you use them, and then go on with life as usual. Pain is your body's way of telling you things are not right. Pain meds are like covering up the check engine light on your dashboard. A doctor may prescribe meds, and or physical therapy, but i highly suggest a chiropractor.
    Good Luck to you , b/c living with someone in pain can be hard!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 10:32 PM on Jan. 10, 2010