I gave birth 5 months ago. Would the hospital still have specific information about it?

I need the names of all the nurses who "helped" me at my hospital stay, giving birth 5 months ago. I am writing a letter of complaint and HAVE to have this information.
Would the hospital still have record of all the nurses who helped? Its 2am or I'd call and see.

SpiritedTigress

Asked by SpiritedTigress at 5:58 AM on Jan. 10, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• yes they have to.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 6:11 AM on Jan. 10, 2010

• The hospital should have all this documented. I would suggest that when you go seeking the information (in person, not over the phone) bring a little money to offer for copies and DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT say anything about filing a complaint. Tell them that you are filling information out in your baby's Baby Book and you want to have all the details. If they think it's for filing a complaint.....records tend to get lost.
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 6:11 AM on Jan. 10, 2010

• Yes, they would have the info in medical records. But just and FYI, this far out, it's unlikely anything will come of your complaint. As an RN myself, I've had a handful of complaints and I've never had any kind of corrective action taken based on the complaints... the most that happens is I read the complaint, but even that rarely has personal names on it. At our hospital our manager might know about it but all other complaints are censored and the names are edited out (it's kind of strange). But this far out I doubt they will do more than glance at it. If there were serious problems they should have been address immediately not nearly a half a year later. So basically what I am saying... you are waisting your time.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:22 AM on Jan. 10, 2010

• When the hospital receives your letter, they will be able to pull your records and will know what nurses attented to you (though, chances are, most of your contact was with aides)

Answer by rkoloms at 7:25 AM on Jan. 10, 2010

• I would file it regardless. Everyone knows how busy and scatterbrained new moms are and a complaint is a complaint no matter when it comes in. ENSURE you get a reply and are notified of how the complaint will be handled. If the person you talk to doesn't cooperate, then go to their supervisor. If the supervisor doesn't either, go to THEIR supervisor.

I would look online too. The hospital likely has a website if it's a large one and should show something to do with the complaint process. There has to be some overseer of the nursing staff in L&D.
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 7:31 AM on Jan. 10, 2010

• What is your complaint about, that will also determine how to go about it.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 7:55 AM on Jan. 10, 2010

• Yes, they would have your information. All you have to do is call them and have them look up the information that you are looking for. If they have a problem giving you the information over the phone you might have to actually go to the hospital to get a copy of the information you are looking for. It is actually an easy thing to get the information about your hospital stay.
    Tracihoney

Answer by Tracihoney at 8:04 AM on Jan. 10, 2010

• You would need to contact Release of Information in the medical records department. They will not give you that information over the phone. you can request a copy of your records (in writing), which they will provide to you with a fee (usually).

(I used to work in medical records)
    Rileyscute

Answer by Rileyscute at 8:31 AM on Jan. 10, 2010

• Oh and all hospitals usually have a patient advocate, if you can't get what you need or would like help, contact their office.
    Rileyscute

Answer by Rileyscute at 8:33 AM on Jan. 10, 2010

• They would, and regardless of what happens, you should file. If enough people complain about a nurse, something will happen. Please waste your time. I wasted my time after my first birth by filing a complaint six months afterwards. I got a personal call from the head of nursing staff, and she discussed my situation with me, and outlined what they were doing differently. It seems I was the complaint that broke the camel's back.

I went in for my second birth, and every single thing on that list had been done. Everything. I was shocked, but it showed that my hospital cares about it's clients.
    whiteroses82

Answer by whiteroses82 at 8:35 AM on Jan. 10, 2010