only one child

I have a beautiful 2 month old little girl I always wanted one child and am very happy with my daughter. I want to have my tubes tied but everyone keeps telling me to have more or that i am going to want more later. Are there any mothers who have only one and are you content or do you fell like you should have had more?

sashasmom159

Asked by sashasmom159 at 6:52 AM on Jan. 10, 2010 in General Parenting

• Yes, I only have one child, by choice. I like you, only wanted one child, and I took precautions to ensure that that is what I had. Do I regret only having one child? Heck no! While other parents complain about this and that regarding their children, I sit and smirk, I don't have those moments with my kids fighting...
    There is NOTHING wrong with only wanting one child, in the end it will be you raising your children, not the ones telling you not to get your tubes tied. Enjoy being a mommy, but only have more children because YOU want them.
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 7:15 AM on Jan. 10, 2010

• I never wanted any. We are very content with one.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:24 AM on Jan. 10, 2010

• i have one and we want one more by adoption. i am perfectly capable of carryinga childbut it a choice we made to adopt our secon child if and when we are ready.

as for your situation i wudl get an iud or some sort of implantable device that rovide about 5 years of proection but is still removeable that way you have a sure method of birth controll but you also have the option to take it out if you want another one and f at te end of five yeas you still feel the same way yu do now then get your tubes tied then.
    jajamama

Answer by jajamama at 7:40 AM on Jan. 10, 2010

• Its a choice for you and your husband to make together...but I do believe you need to think LONG and hard...once those tubes are tied there is no going back.

To each his own, but I couldn't stand the thought of not giving my child a sibling to grow up with and have for life.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:46 AM on Jan. 10, 2010

• I would wait a little longer for that decision because you may not be like others, you may regret it or you may not but if you give yourself a few years to really know you will feel better in the end I think. There a perks of having more than one especially for the kids, I grew up alone and really wish I had a sibling somebody to share secrets with. I dunno I am babbling sorry, it has been a long weekend.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 7:47 AM on Jan. 10, 2010

• OP, you can borrow kids instead of having more siblings for your child. I always have a house full on the weekends, in part due to having a teenager, but come Sunday night it's back to just one darling childt to tend to...LOL
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 7:53 AM on Jan. 10, 2010

• its a choice for you to make, not everyone else
    as an only child though I must put in my 2 cents that being an only child sucks

:)
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 8:28 AM on Jan. 10, 2010

• I love only having one! Granted he's only 3 but I have no intentions of having more. there will be so many more things we can afford to do with just one. I have been to the doc to beg trying to get my tubes tied and they refused. I don't think I will ever regret only one. i'm going back to school finally! I get to sleep all night with out getting woken up. I just don't want to have the diapers and the doctor visits again. My son is well adjusted and that's good enough for me. If he is mad at me later, whatever, He can make a friend.
    lovemylilman06

Answer by lovemylilman06 at 8:44 AM on Jan. 10, 2010

• It seems as though some parents enjoy having only one child...less work, more time with that one child, etc....but it seems that everyone who is an only child almost ALWAYS wants a sibling.

Your house can be full of friends, friends come and go, a sibling stays in your heart...they can do or say almost anything to you and you still love them and they love you...that is not true with most friends.

There are perks and nothing can take the place of a brother or sister.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:30 AM on Jan. 10, 2010

• Wait at least 5 years from now and give it time to think about. In the mean time your see how your mother skills turn out with your dd.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:30 AM on Jan. 10, 2010