How soon did you switch your toddler over to a toddler bed?

smarie1011

Asked by smarie1011 at 8:07 AM on Jan. 10, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I switched when they learned to escape the crib, didn't want them falling and getting hurt while climbing out.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:14 AM on Jan. 10, 2010

• We have moved our kids around 18 or 20 months. It has worked out great for our 6 children.. Your child will let you know when they are ready because they usually start waking up early or not having peaceful sleep because they are ready for something a little more spacious and not so confined. Through trail and error we realized that if you don't make a big deal about them moving from a crib to a bed then they won't either. Ours always stayed in their beds and didn't get out because they didn't know any different! Hope that helps

mommyqua

Answer by mommyqua at 8:14 AM on Jan. 10, 2010

• They were about 18 months. They did not stay in them long. They had regular twin beds by age 4.
    ZandC

Answer by ZandC at 8:29 AM on Jan. 10, 2010

• I switched him when he first got out of his crib on his own which was around 18 months.
    Krysden

Answer by Krysden at 8:35 AM on Jan. 10, 2010

• i moved mine when he was 14 months only because he was climbing out. It was funny he didn't realize at first that he could get off the bed so he would sit there and call for me. I moved him to a twin when he was 2. I would got from crib to twin if you have the room, It makes it one less change later.
    lovemylilman06

Answer by lovemylilman06 at 8:39 AM on Jan. 10, 2010

• My middle son was 12 months. He was an escape artist. We decided to put him in a toddler bed to keep him from killing himself. He stayed in his room and did well. The other 2 went to the toddler bed about 18 months old.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 8:40 AM on Jan. 10, 2010

• Mine is still in his crib, but we are looking to move soon. We aren't doing the toddler bed, going straight to the twin bed.
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 11:34 AM on Jan. 10, 2010

• my son is almost 14mos, and he's still in his crib. we'll move him when he starts trying to crawl out.
    carliemarie1015

Answer by carliemarie1015 at 11:37 AM on Jan. 10, 2010

• My son is 16 months old and climbs on everything! I'm always afraid he will climb out of his crib in the middle of the night and get hurt...I am planning on switching him to a toddler bed. My husband is building one..I'm just worried he will get out of the bed in the middle of the night ..But, if I keep his bed room door closed and the baby monitor on..it should be ok right?
    smarie1011

Answer by smarie1011 at 11:43 AM on Jan. 10, 2010

• to smarie1011: you can also put a baby gate at his door to make sure that, if the door is open, he won't run out of the room too easily. position it high enough that he can't crawl under, and make it high that it's too tall for him to grab on. you may also tilt it in towards the room, so that he won't be able to just lean on it and push it out. worth a try.
    Anonymous