Getting more Spiritual...with a ?

background:
I have never been a "religious" person. More what I call "spiritual" I don't believe any one church/denomination/religion has it all right. In my younger years, I went through that phase of studying other religions than I was raised to see what I believed.

Now:
Here I am, almost 30, severe social anxiety disorder to the point that I barely leave the house. Actually LOOKING for a church to join and physically go to is a no-go. But I want to be more spiritual! I feel a void and my gut is telling me this is what it needs.

Any suggestions that would be helpful for someone in my shoes? Are there online "churches" or bible studies?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:41 AM on Jan. 10, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• me, i know how you feel--here is a link you might find useful or may want to check out
    http://gnfmchurch.ning.com/

jdmyangel

Answer by jdmyangel at 10:37 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• Do you have a TV? On regular TV there is a religious station. And I know on cable/sattelite there are a few. There is the Trinity Network and also Angel Network. They have shows and even services that are broadcasted. These tv stations I know have websites too. The best of luck to you. Congrats on looking into being more spiritual! I too believe that not one church has all the answers. I do attend a service that is very much too the point. They sing praises and then the service is just reading out of the bible. Not any "you must do this because I say" stuff from other churches. We read passages and discuss them. I believe that there are many religions because God uses them all to talk to everyone individually. No one thinks alike so why would we have one church? What makes sense to one person wouldn't make sense to another. I think we need to take what make sense to us and use that to be closer to Him. :)
    MrsMorgan91

Answer by MrsMorgan91 at 9:33 AM on Jan. 10, 2010

• Hello,
    I am one of Jehovahs Witnesses. Jehovahs Witnesses offer free home bible studies to everyone. These are completely free to all, there is also no charge for books/bibles etc. You can stop/start your study whenever you wish. If you wish to take up this offer please click on the gfollowing link and leave your details in the contact us section. http://www.watchtower.org/ Or you could send me a message with your details and i will arrange for someone to visit you.
    But whatever you decide to do, i hope you get what you want
    Xxx
    kalada

Answer by kalada at 9:38 AM on Jan. 10, 2010

• just make sure, that what ever you decide, that it goes along with the Bible.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:30 AM on Jan. 10, 2010

• MrsMorgan - yes, I have TV/cable, maybe my timing is off, but all the programs I find just feel very one sided/biased towards the whole "We are right, they are wrong" mentality

thank you kalada, but no to the strangers in the house, nothing against JW

anon@:30 - well that is a very biased reply.

any further replies - No the bible is not a staple to what I meant. I realize I said church or bible study, so partly my bad. But honestly, I am extremely open minded!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:38 AM on Jan. 10, 2010

• There are many religious groups here on CafeMom, many of them are interfaith. You could join a few of those for some inspiration and discussion.

You could also find religious communities online, if you look I'm sure you could find something to suite your needs/wants.

There are also many things you can do at home, like yoga or meditation, or prayer or devotionals or so on. There are many books out there that are spiritually inspiring while not being biased in nature.

What's most important is that you find what works for you. Faith or spirituality isn't a one fits all kind of thing. You may have to do a little searching to find what works best for you, but in the end its worth it, even if only for the feeling of contentment and peace it brings. Don't feel like you have to fit someone else's idea of spirituality. Feel free to find your own.

:)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 11:03 AM on Jan. 10, 2010

• I'm Pagan. I was raised catholic, I went to a born-again christian church, presbyterian all those churches that fall under the "christian" umbrella. I will say this, no matter what spiritual path you decide to follow, you don't NEED to go to a building to honor your God(or Goddess) :) I am content sitting near my altar lighting candles, and listening to spiritual music connecting with my deity.

My belief is that all you need is you and your deity. No need for a middle man or outside building. Because religion/spirituality is in fact a personal walk with your lord, God, Goddess period. Nobody has a right to dictate to you how you should honor your deity. It's a relationship with your deity. I will say too that "fellowship" with others with like-minded spiritual folk is good for the spirit because you learn some things that you never knew or that you may incorporate into your own worship.

If you want to talk please PM me.
    CinderAmethyst

Answer by CinderAmethyst at 11:19 AM on Jan. 10, 2010

• thank you bandgeek and cinder
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:41 AM on Jan. 10, 2010

• I am curious.. do you want to be free of this anti- social disorder? Jesus can set you free ! I used to be like that until I got pulled in to volunteer at my son's elementary school when he was in 3rd grade ( he is a sophomore in high school now) and that changed things for more. I am still shy but I still get out. Sure it was scary at first! Going to church can help break that bondage, God wants you to be free but you need to want it too! :-)
    As for listening to sermons online. My church has podcasts at Blazing Fire Church and our mother church Bethel has services some free and some not. There are many different ministries that have podcasts and vidoes. All these are non denominational churches. Very biblcial oriented and very loving churches. I have been to bad ones and it is like seeing night and day, these 2 churches being bright as day. I will pray for your freedom from this social thing, I know God hascont
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 1:44 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• bigger and better things for you when you come out of this! It is so freeing! :-) Bless you!
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 1:45 PM on Jan. 10, 2010