I'm so ashamed...I can't cook!!!

I mean I can. But lately I've been reading all these mom's making all these dishes and claim, "Oh it's soooo easy, blah, blah, blah...."
My poor son is destined to a life of shake and bake and instant stuff(gotta love the freezer isle at wal mart).
But I finally brought myself to read the back of the packages....
Stouffer's "Easy Express" Yankee pot roast skillet
(Me thinking, oh pot roast with veggies, that's healthy!!!)
300 calories per serving(ok, not bad)
930 mg of sodium (crikey!!!)
8 grams of fat (I went to college, I should know if this is bad or not, for the life of me I can't remember)
38 grams of carbs
18 grams of protein(ok, this sounds good....I think)
Banquet chicken nuggets and fries
280 calories
15 mg of cholesterol(How is my cholesterol "better than my doctors" as he claims~My doctor says that)
560 mg of sodium

My goal for this new year was to learn how to cook healthy.
Con

Starfire73

Asked by Starfire73 at 9:03 AM on Jan. 10, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Start simply. Go to your local library, and check out a couple of kids cookbooks. My favorite is called Pretend Soup; I also like the Rachel Ray one.
    Once you have developed some self-confidence, go back to the library and check out a couple more cookbooks. The Saving Dinner series by Leanne Ely is great!

Answer by rkoloms at 9:08 AM on Jan. 10, 2010

• But I can't cook for sh*t! I mean I read the recipes and over half of them have all these crazy spices I never heard of!! I literally freak after reading the "recipe ingredients list!"
    Here's the spices in my "spice rack"
    salt
    pepper
    onion powder(it's kind of hard and chunky, not sure if it's still good or not)
    seasoned meat tenderizer(400 mg of sodium per 1/4 tsp)
    paprika
    chili powder
    garlic powder
    season salt
    italian seasoning
    Tony Chachere's original creole seasoning

Any recipe ideas for simple, domestically challenged single mom here?
    I mean it's just me and my son so we don't need big portions

Thanks in advance for reading and answering

I wasn't sure if to put this in health or food&drink section
    Starfire73

Answer by Starfire73 at 9:11 AM on Jan. 10, 2010

• Send me a message offlist if you would like some recipes. I just want to warn you, we don't eat meat and we do probably eat foods that you are unfamiliar with. I do have lots of recipes that are fairly simple, family and budget friendly, and taste great. You may want to look at some recipes here: www.spatulatta.com, with or without your child

Answer by rkoloms at 9:20 AM on Jan. 10, 2010

• Look into Cooking Light Cookbook(I believe they have a magazine too) a lot of there recipes are for 2-3 people and the recipes are Healthy and really good and EASY trust me I always look for the easiest recipes to make with have a DS and being pregnant. Oh and invest in a Crock Pot if you don't already have one makes you feel like a chef without doing much. ;)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:38 AM on Jan. 10, 2010

• Do you have a crockpot? That takes care of a lot of the cooking. For a pot roast just dump the pot roast, 1/2 pkg of dry onion soup mix & 1/4 cup water. Cover & cook on low for 8 to 10 hours. I've made stews, chili, roast beef or chicken, sloppy joes, spaghetti sauce...all in the crockpot.

The spices in my cupboard read very close to what you have with the addition of oregano, basil, parsley & cayenne pepper. You can break up the lumps in the onion powder; mine does the same thing. With simple spices you CAN make tasty dishes like a seasoning rub for roast chicken, pizza sauce, spaghetti sauce, taco seasoning, stir fry...

I have many in my blog Rhonda's Homestyle Recipes (just click on the link).   Feel free to check it out and use whatever you think you could manage.  You can also contact me & I'd be happy to help with a

michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 9:38 AM on Jan. 10, 2010

• I HAD a crock pot til yesterday(after joining the group"crock pot moms"), It shattered all of a sudden when it hit the floor. I'm going to buy a new one on payday.
    Starfire73

Answer by Starfire73 at 9:53 AM on Jan. 10, 2010

• "Send me a message offlist if you would like some recipes. I just want to warn you, we don't eat meat and we do probably eat foods that you are unfamiliar with. I do have lots of recipes that are fairly simple, family and budget friendly, and taste great. You may want to look at some recipes here: www.spatulatta.com, with or without your child"

I would LOVE to find dishes that don't require meat! Meats getting expensive and we usually buy the bags of frozen boneless skinless chicken. I'm terrified by all the fat in hamburger meat.
    Once in a great while we'll buy the boneless pork chops(I think that's what their called) they're pretty lean. But I only know how to make them with shake and bake(I swear we should buy stock in shake and bake! lol)
    Starfire73

Answer by Starfire73 at 9:56 AM on Jan. 10, 2010

• Oh and we don't eat fish. My son wants me to cook "talipia"(? never heard of it til dickhead told me it was a type of fish) Since "grandma Cindy(my ex monster in law) cooked it for him once when he was visiting dickhead over the summer.
    Starfire73

Answer by Starfire73 at 9:58 AM on Jan. 10, 2010

• you should buy the better crocker cook book. Cooking is such a breeze (But it's not for everyone!, you should meet my sister...lol)
    NaKeYJaKeYsMoMy

Answer by NaKeYJaKeYsMoMy at 12:11 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• I reared my children by feeding them at drive thrus with coupons. I didn't learn to cook until I was 50 and they were all gone. I started paying attention to what I ate and reading the labels like you just did. I eat a lot of fresh or frozen veggies now, mostly sweet potatoes and spinach. I don't cook with salt. I use pepper and crushed hot peppers but no salt. I make sweet potato baked fries sprinkled with olive oil and chili powder. I make my own version of chicken nuggets. I LIGHTLY flour them after I cut them in small bite size pieces so they cook quickly in olive oil. My grandkids love them. I use pepper and parmesan cheese for seasoning. I use a cast iron dutch oven to cook things together like last night I threw in a block of frozen spinach, onions, garlic and a piece of frozen pork steak on high heat and about 40 min later dinner was done and it was amazing. Throw in some carrots on the side and voila. Easy Meal

Answer by admckenzie at 3:29 PM on Jan. 10, 2010