Mommy is sick

I think the stress of everything that happened last week got me sick (LO breathing difficulty due to acid reflux, 911 called, hospital for 3 days,...)

I'm going to try to see the doctor today and wanted to know if I was to be prescribed medication would it not be ok to take since I am:
1) breastfeeding
2) LO on Reglan and Zantac
3) would it aggrivate his acid reflux

I tried emailing his pediatrician but I'm not sure if I'll here back from him since its the weekend.

Thanks...

Munchkin09

Asked by Munchkin09 at 9:16 AM on Jan. 10, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Tell your doctor that you are breastfeeding. They usually know what to prescribe or they can call the peditrician for you. hope you feel better!
    Jjoneslagrange

Answer by Jjoneslagrange at 9:29 AM on Jan. 10, 2010

• Make sure to INSIST that they give you something you can take while breastfeeding. Most conditions have several drugs to help with them and most have at least one option that can be taken while nursing. I would also make sure the doc is VERY aware of the babies acid reflux too. If you are still in doubt check the site www.kellymom.com she has links to various medical websites that tell you whether specific drugs are okay while nursing. Also keep in mind that anything you take to dry up sinuses etc (liked sudafed) has the possibility of drying up the milk too. They drugs themselves are usually safe to pass through the milk to baby, but they can seriously hinder the breastfeeding relationship.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:07 AM on Jan. 10, 2010

• the doctor you are seeing, that will prescribe meds for you can make sure it's safe to take while breastfeeding. when he hands you the prescription, make sure to tell im your breastfeeding! that's it :)
    LilySchey

Answer by LilySchey at 1:38 PM on Jan. 10, 2010