Why are lower income people often confused with "trashy" people?

Not all of us are disgusting pigs.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:30 AM on Jan. 10, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I agree!

I think Dog the Bounty Hunter and his little group are all trashy but they are millionaires

Trashy isn't about how much money you have!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:32 AM on Jan. 10, 2010

• no way are they all disgusting pigs...but in our area, a lot of lower income people keep trashy yards, mess everywhere, just generally look bad.

But that is not true of everyone who is low income. There are people who are Low income who take care and value their things and want it to look nice. Themselves included....such as nice clean cloths or hair that is maintained etc.
    Anonymous

• AND I also agree with the above post that even people with money can be trashy...I have seen many of those as well.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:33 AM on Jan. 10, 2010

• Unfortunately, there are many who make asses out of themselves and ruin it for the rest of us. Plus, shows like Cops, and the like, which only show one side of the lower income bracket, make it worse as well. I have a saying I live by: "Just because I'm from the ghetto does not mean I AM ghetto." Also: "Just because I'm from the ghetto does not mean I have to act ghetto." I've seen
    rich people be even more trashy than lower income folks, too.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 9:39 AM on Jan. 10, 2010

• My parents grew up in the Depression Era. They always told me you can be poor but always be clean. I do think many people that are on assistance get lazy and let things go because they don't have the ambition or drive to better themselves. Their yards look like pig styes. Their homes are dirty. There is no excuse for that , at all.
    MSugarKane

Answer by MSugarKane at 9:41 AM on Jan. 10, 2010

• I dont think they all are.. HOWEVER, everyone has a poor area in your city that is gross and 99 percent of the people who live there are TRASH.. you can be poor and clean.. bleach for example is VERY cheap. i can think of a few poor areas tho where i live that people are just gross.. they own 50 dogs that arent taken care of, they have crap all over their yards, roaches in their houses ect.. and they just happen to be poor..
    But like the other posters said there are plenty of rich trashy people out there.. look at the recent thing that went on with charlie sheen.. lol.. wife totally wasted and him threatening her with a knife? thats pretty darn trashy!! same thing with tiger woods.. running around banging everyone and wife chasing him with a golf club? lol..
    maybebaby83

Answer by maybebaby83 at 9:47 AM on Jan. 10, 2010

• I think people are confusing low income trashy people with drug addicts lol...Drug addicts= Trashy not low income people(SOME) but thats what i think when i see or hear trashy.
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 9:51 AM on Jan. 10, 2010

• I grew up in a very poor neighborhood and pretty much all our neighbors were trashy. Not all but most where. The most greedy, dirty, foul mouthed, uneducated and worthless group of people I have ever met. I have met some really trashy middle and wealthy people not nearly as many though.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:02 AM on Jan. 10, 2010

• Poor grammar, teen pregnancy, lack of education, lack of life-goals, lack of planning for the future...

Answer by rkoloms at 10:03 AM on Jan. 10, 2010

• Thank you OP! This bothers me a lot. My husband and I are definitely on the low low low end of the middle class. I know some people look at us and go "Aw, those poor kids. They don't have enough money for anything." But yet my house is usually clean (not always spotless, but it's not nasty or dirty or anything). My daughter always has clean, neat clothes and clean hair. I always wear clean clothes when I go out, and I make sure to brush or flat iron my hair. If you saw us out in public you'd think we had quite a lot of money. Yet we get WIC and can barely afford to eat sometimes! Who would've thought.

Trashy has nothing to do with how much money you make.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 10:06 AM on Jan. 10, 2010