Hi, i'm a new mother and I feel terrible about this and i'm really afraid right now.

This is my first baby. She is now 8 months and when she was born she had those newborn checkups for the first month and then I got on WIC. She's been getting her immunizations, height and weight and all that and here I am hurt and ashamed that I didn't even know about "well baby checkups" and how often she needs to get them. I was told about a pediatrician to sign up for, and then was told that i didn't need to sign up but just to make an appointment. Well everything has seemed fine with my daughter lately so i figured if I suspect she is sick I will make an appointment. Well I did some research online tonight and heard from some people that i can get in trouble for those missed appointments and now I am worried. I'm not a stay at home mom I work about 3 to 4 days a week and I just haven't had time to find more about this until today. I am worried I love my daughter so much right now just don't know what to do. any advice?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:43 AM on Jan. 10, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• This is not something to be worried about. My kids never went for well baby check ups after they told me my son's head was too small and he would have to have part of his skull removed. I took him to another doctor, with my hubby, and he looked at my son, looked at my hubby and said, he is fine. He was developing normally and fine. I never had another well baby check up after that. It pissed me off to no end. Take her in if she isn't reaching milestones, but other than that, check and see if your insurance requires it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:46 AM on Jan. 10, 2010

• yea they are supposd to go but dont worry.... they wil understand... its not like she has a bad medical condition....you'll be okay
    jenny2150

Answer by jenny2150 at 9:58 AM on Jan. 10, 2010

• yes i agree,we dont either anymore.her 1st docter was charging us 500 dollars a visit and never checked her private parts and we switched becouse it was to far and they was charging us very high, her new docter cheked her out down there and turns out she was closing up down there and we have to put 40 dollar cream on her.. i think they are just out for money sometimes.
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 9:59 AM on Jan. 10, 2010

• You can't get in trouble for not bringing a healthy child to the doctor. If WIC has been doing her shots, height and weight, it's likely they would have told you to go to your doctor if something seemed off. Some people don't bring their kids for well visits at all. I do, because I think it's a good thing to do. I don't think its a bad thing NOT to do. Has your baby ever been to the doctor? Just for newborn check ups, right? Well, at the other scheduled well baby visits, they check height, weight, give shots if they're due and if you vaccinate, measure the size of their head, check their hips, just a general look over. Chances are, if something were wrong, you'd see a sign, and when you saw that sign, you'd bring your child in to the doctor right? Don't worry. If you feel like it, schedule a check up with her pediatrician. When you leave, ask when they'd like to see her again. You're not a bad mom. :)
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:01 AM on Jan. 10, 2010

• I agree with the other ladies. If we didn't have decent medical insurance I probably wouldn't take my daughter in for her well baby checks, either, as long as she was developing normally and was getting her immunizations and growth checked elsewhere. You're not a bad mom.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 11:05 AM on Jan. 10, 2010

• You can't get in trouble for missing WELL baby appointments. If your baby isn't sick, the doctor is not necessary and no one is going to do anything to you! Don't worry so much about what other people think they know. You'll find that people who think they "know" things are often wrong upon further research and inspection of their "knowledge" ..

Google your "parental rights" you'll find that you have plenty. You don't even need to give her immunizations if you do not feel it is necessary. You can also choose whatever doctor you want and can switch your child's care to another doctor mid-care if you would like. You are paying them (well, the state is! but someone is giving them money!) so you should be happy with what they do AND what they don't!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:31 AM on Jan. 10, 2010

• If she's had her shots and height weight checked, those are your well baby appointments. They'll tell you when you need to bring her back. After 6 months, most go back at 9, but I don't think there are shots then) a year, some 15 months, all 18 months, and then 24.
    whiteroses82

Answer by whiteroses82 at 11:46 AM on Jan. 10, 2010

• If you want to pm me, I've got a file that will tell you everything they are looking for, and explain what shots she is getting and what to expect. I'd be happy to share it with you.
    whiteroses82

Answer by whiteroses82 at 11:47 AM on Jan. 10, 2010

• Relax. You CANNOT get in trouble for this. There are moms who don't do these at all,m because well baby checks are often just for vaccinations and there are moms who don't vax.

Nothing AT ALL to feel bad about here.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:55 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• You can't get into trouble, but I do suggest you educate yourself on parenting standards, read some books, etc. The only thing that concerns me is that you "didn't know," instead of made a conscious, educated choice not to take her.
    Anonymous