When naming a child, should the chosen name correspond to the parent's ethnic heritage?

I was reading through a post and a responder mentioned that she hated it when a parent who was not Italian named their child a name that was Italian (the example was Angelina). I thought that was an interesting thing to state considering the millions of names out there. My children have names that are Dutch, Greek and Hebrew. I am AA. Should I have only been restricted to choosing names of African origin?

benjamink

Asked by benjamink at 10:23 AM on Jan. 10, 2010 in Just for Fun

• In keeping with the Askenazic Jewish tradition, we choose names that honor people we loved who have died.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:25 AM on Jan. 10, 2010

• Lol no way! If you like the name and think it will suit your baby, nobody can tell you different! That's the funniest thing I've ever heard. A lot of names don't even have an ethnic origin, people make up their own, and there's nothing wrong with that. I named my daughter after a saint, and I'm not the most religious person in the world, but I think the name and the meaning behind it is beautiful. Some people are just so narrow-minded. Poor things.
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 10:26 AM on Jan. 10, 2010

• I think people should name their children whatever name they like.
    marilyp

Answer by marilyp at 10:38 AM on Jan. 10, 2010

• I suppose that would work in theory, but then with all the mixed kids out there, mine included, it sort of goes out the window.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 10:39 AM on Jan. 10, 2010

• Nope... its your child and you should be able to name them whatever you like. I named my son after a 7th grade crush... it was my choice and it fits him so well :o)

I think its sad when people name their child weird names like Apple or Pilot Inspektor.
    ProudMom_5703

Answer by ProudMom_5703 at 10:48 AM on Jan. 10, 2010

• yeah..we should have named our ds 'Sven Runningbear'. alas..we just call him 'jack'.
    but seriously, names parents pick for their children are their decision. or maybe they flipped a coin or lost a bet. either way, ''what's in a name? a rose by any other name would smell as sweet'', so saith shakespeare.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 11:02 AM on Jan. 10, 2010

• No, I think that's idiotic.

Culture sharing is awesome.
    BaisMom

Answer by BaisMom at 11:09 AM on Jan. 10, 2010

• I can not say if I like or dislike the practice. Being a bit older I do say that the trend away from traditional names sometimes surprises me. I think we conjure up images of a person based on their name. When someone has a very ethnic name that does not match their appearance, then yes- it does surprise. Is that a bad thing-No. Do I notice- Yes. Do I care one way or another-no.
    justmyopinion

Answer by justmyopinion at 11:12 AM on Jan. 10, 2010

• No ethnicity has claim to any names. Those names are just more common for them. I don't care about that. I'd care about how the name sounds, flows, or it's meaning. There aren't a lot of foreign names that catch my interest just cause I don't like the way they sound. S.O. however is very into different cultural names. I don't want any more kids so he says he's gonna get lots of dogs with special names. LOL
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 11:23 AM on Jan. 10, 2010

• You should name your child whatever you want. If that is how the feel great but you are not them and can do whatever you want.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 12:13 PM on Jan. 10, 2010