Anyone else feel like this when your Oldest turnned 18?

My oldest son turned 18 on Jan 1st and i still can't believe my baby boy is all grown up. He was a preemie and they didn't think he would overcome that but he did and he overcame his aspergers his bi-polar even his girlfriend cheating on him and dumping there kid on him. I seriously don't know how he did it or does it to be honest. He has matured so fast. And some times lately i feel as though i am losing him in some respects. Anyone else feel like this?

Nichole_09

Asked by Nichole_09 at 10:45 AM on Jan. 10, 2010 in Adult Children (18+)

• Wow...your son has been through a whole lot in 18 years. I would be a wreck,if I were you. Congratulations on surviving that! When my kids were 18, they were in school, living home,not even involved with the opposite sex (they were still virgins) and preparing to go to college> I guess I had it easy. LOL.
    Good luck in the future!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:55 AM on Jan. 10, 2010

• I seriously don't know how he did it or does it to be honest.

You played a major role in that, give yourself credit.  You done good. 

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:21 AM on Jan. 10, 2010

• I did...it was even worse the day I dropped him off at his recruiters to go off to the navy. I bawled for three days straight....that was harder then my divorce I think.

It was really weird when he came home for a visit...we went to a bar to listen to a friends band play. My son bought me a drink. Really weird! Makes me feel extra old to think my dd is turning 21 this April. The ds is going to be 25!
    daisy521

Answer by daisy521 at 11:29 AM on Jan. 10, 2010

• Your son is a teen father who is now responsible for his child and you have used the language that his child was "dumped" on him?
    Good grief. Hopefully he does a better job at parenting than you do.
    Anonymous

• If you created a bond early on and continued it, you will never really loose him.

Answer by older at 12:38 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• If you were the constant in his life he is a damn lucky young man. Boys can be odd at times, especially that " I am 18, and I a man thing." But if you are good and lucky, they turn out well. My oldest went in the AF, spent his 21rst birthday in Iraq. He will turn 25 on Valentines Day. We will dance to "The Man You've Become" , the last Saturday in September.

My youngest turned 18 in June, and he's currently home on break from school. It's bittersweet when their gone. You miss them but you know they have to do their own thing.

PestPatti

Answer by PestPatti at 8:30 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• Be PROUD of your son!! My oldest will be 21 in October. They are fraternal twin boys and one will be marrying in July and the other is looking for a job as a police officer. I am very proud of them both and the day they turned 18 we celebrated their new journey into adulthood.
    Anonymous

• The day my oldest (now 23) turned 18 he also started college. It blew me away at how fast he had grown up. it was hard to let go and I called him quite a bit. Luckily he was fine with it since we are a very close knit family. A year later, about a month after he turned 19, he left for Army basic and 3 mos. after he turned 20 he was off to Iraq. He returned last Feb. and now he's looking at Afghanistan this summer. He's married now so he and his wife are often busy 9she is also in the Army) but we talk 2-3 times a week.

When my other 3 turned 18 they still lived at home and were still in high school so it wasn't so hard. My 22yo now lives in another state and calls a couple of times a week. My 19 and 18yo's are high school seniors. My 19yo leaves for Army basic in July and my 18 will head to college in June to start football practices.

They have grown up so fast, but they are great guys! It's bittersweet!
    Anonymous

• No. I did the happy dance naked when my last one left the home. I did the best I could do and taught them all I know. It was my turn to live life for me when they left so I was patient but anxious for them to leave the nest.

Answer by admckenzie at 5:15 PM on Jan. 12, 2010

• It has been hard since the oldest two turned 18+ and moved on with their adult lives. But then I realized something, I will always have my relationship with them and they will always 'need' me in some ways, just the hows and whys have changed as they have matured. I will always be their Mamma and I love them! I have learned to adjust to the new relationship needs as they are adults and I think that it is going well for all involved. : )
    Anonymous