What do I need to do to handle a jealous toddler? HELP

It just started a couple days ago. I'm almost six months pregnant and my three year old has been doing some off the wall stuff to my husband. Yesterday he decided to squirt all the baby lotion, baby oil and A&D ointment from off of the changing table, into a basket. Then he tried to cover it up with a whole box of tissues. Then this morning My husband got out of the bathroom and found my son sitting on top of the changing table. The changing table has been there for atleast four months now. It's only directed towards my husband never to me. He's also saying stuff like I hate you daddy, mommy is my life, I miss mommy, etc. Not sure where any of this is coming from. I'm not sure how my husband should handle it and I for that matter beings it never happens when I'm there. Please help me! any advice is better than what I have!

mamasbboy

Asked by mamasbboy at 10:49 AM on Jan. 10, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• they say when your pregnant your children can feel it! being the only child for 3yrs can really play a toll on a baby let him know his roles how much fun its going to be being the big brother show him as much attention as you can it does get harder once the new baby comes since hes not talking well with daddy its best if you talk to him and at the age hes at he should understand tell him how it hurts daddy when hes mean and that he shouldn't do that its good that your dealing with this issue now.i hope this helps!!!
    tinkagg

Answer by tinkagg at 11:30 AM on Jan. 10, 2010

• I think you and your hubby both need to talk to him. I know he's only 3 but it's amazing how much info you can get out of a 3 yr old sometimes. Let him know that the new baby isn't going to change how you guys feel about him. If you can take him to the store with you and let hime help pick out some things for his baby brother/sister. We actually bought my 2nd son his own baby (it was a cute fat baby doll) of his own and before his baby brother was born we would take care of his baby together and it really helped the jelousy thing. Just reinforce that you guys love him just as much even with a little one on the way. Good Luck
    Juggalette0327

Answer by Juggalette0327 at 2:17 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• I would say before you start assuming that he is feeling jealous already, just plainly ask him what he is thinking. Try to really give him the space to tell you what is wrong. I would not ask him any negatively phrased questions, such as "Are you jealous of Daddy?" but rather, "What do you like about Daddy?"
    Our daughter told us recently that she likes Mommy at night and Daddy in the morning. They are just weird at this age I guess.
    squish

Answer by squish at 2:12 AM on Jan. 11, 2010