why does cold weather feel colder in florida than cold weather feels in illinois

my dad is down from illinois, (i live in florida) and its cold...30 degrees, he feels colder here then he does in illinois where its -13 degrees on a cold day.....why is that? is it because of the humidity in the air? (here in florida)

cj1smommy

Asked by cj1smommy at 11:02 AM on Jan. 10, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Your blood
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:03 AM on Jan. 10, 2010

• Different areas LOL
    I know that when I lived in wisconsin I was OK with the -17 degree mornings.
    I moved to OK and 32 Ifroze my butt off.
    Now that I am in Vegas the 40s get nippley. Just different areas. LOL
    southerncharm86

Answer by southerncharm86 at 11:04 AM on Jan. 10, 2010

• LOL my mom always says that-"Now i grew up in west virginia and ive seen some cold winters so i just dont understand why its so damn bitter cold (she says bitter cold alot) in florida and it aint even freezing"

i do beleive its from the humidity. and man- when the wind blows and its 30- thats the worst!

im in st.augustine BTW
    snoober_k

Answer by snoober_k at 11:06 AM on Jan. 10, 2010

• Your body adjusts accordingly to the environment you live in.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:07 AM on Jan. 10, 2010

• Global warming
    ambr2006

Answer by ambr2006 at 11:10 AM on Jan. 10, 2010

• The moisture in the air makes it feel colder for ppl from dryer climates.

I know that i can be in 15degrees in montana..but when i go to 32 degrees in Tennesee i freeze! im not used to all the cold AND wet.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 11:14 AM on Jan. 10, 2010

• Yep. The humidity. The air is "wet" here.....LOL Sucks, too...because we arent used to cold weather...
    julionna_lion

Answer by julionna_lion at 11:23 AM on Jan. 10, 2010

• Yes, it is the humidity...I also grew up in Montana...and am now living in Florida. Not by choice, I might add...I hate it here. Anyway...the more moisture in the air...the colder it will feel. The other evening I went to take the trash out and could barely go 10 feet from my door.....but in MT I use to go out at night with just a jacket and boots over my nightgown to grab wood off the wood pile.

I don't believe that...you get used to where you live crap either, I've been living here for over three years and still can't deal with the humid, sticky summers. I have a friend that is about 35, born and raised here and he has the same problem.
    daisy521

Answer by daisy521 at 11:24 AM on Jan. 10, 2010

• It's the humidity and wind if you live near the coast especially. I was born and raised in FL but moved to Fort Drum, NY with my husband. It really is a different kind of cold. I have felt just as cold here in 30 degree weather as I have up there in below 0. It's weird.
    Court128

Answer by Court128 at 11:42 AM on Jan. 10, 2010

• HUMIDITY!!!! When I lived in NY I went to Anchorage for my brothers wedding... I could be outside in short sleeves playing in the snow but as soon as I got back to NY... I wanted to go back to Alaska where the cold was warmer.

Same works the other way: from Fl. to Arizona-- no prob. with 100 degrees b/c it was dry heat, back to Fl, Ga, La. etc. dude DYING at 89 --
    It all has to do with HUMIDITY!!!!
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 11:43 AM on Jan. 10, 2010