Your thoughts on this quote?

"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."~John Kenneth Galbraith

DEpley

Asked by DEpley at 11:12 AM on Jan. 10, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• See, Waldorf, I do not think it's a reflection of the feelings and thoughts that the Conservative may or may not have regarding others, it's how they try to JUSTIFY their thoughts and actions based on their purported membership in a certain group.

Because I am X (religious and/or conservative) I am perfectly justified in thinking Y and doing Z. It's as if they believe they are someway/somehow in a supreme group and special, which is allowed to skirt basic social graces. Therefore, they can treat others as such- It has more to do with them being better and special- not so much about what they think or believe about others.

It's me/mine based as opposed to you /your based.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 2:51 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• Agreed.
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 11:30 AM on Jan. 10, 2010

• Very good quote . Very true.
    How about the one made by Ghandi in which he says he likes our Jesus but he doesn't like our Christians. That is understandable,I think. Our Christians rarely behave as a Christian should.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:30 AM on Jan. 10, 2010

• Anon- Agree with Ghandi as well.
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 11:31 AM on Jan. 10, 2010

• I completely agree with this quote as well as the Ghandi one.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:56 AM on Jan. 10, 2010

• deep
    Anonymous

• Loved it!

Answer by older at 12:34 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• I agree to a point...I think that's the modern American philosophy not limited to conservatives

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 1:27 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• LOL! Why is it that conservatives out give liberals in every study they do. Our current leaders are a good example. The selfish are the libs.
    Anonymous

• Looks like Ghandi liked to generalize and categorize as much as some of you.
    Anonymous