Please help me narrow down my search for a new car seat- Alpha Omega Elite, Britax Frontier, or Graco Nautilis?

I tested all three in the store yesterday with my son but I'm still having a hard time deciding, mostly because the one I really like (the Britax) is about $100 more expensive than the others. If you own one of these seats, what are your pros and cons about it? I will be forward facing an 18 month old. Thanks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:12 AM on Jan. 10, 2010 in General Parenting

• Alpha Omega Elite LOOKS nice, but its crap. Doesnt last long. Doesnt have a high harness weight. If you can afford it, go with Britax.. they are the bomb! If you cant, I LOVE LOVE LOVE my DD graco nautilus! I paid $150 for it on Walmart.com and paid $0.97 for shipping and got it in 2 days. She is 5 and very tall and still fits in the harness and has ways to go in it. LOVE IT.
    Auntiemom410

Answer by Auntiemom410 at 11:28 AM on Jan. 10, 2010

• From my experience(i've had seven kids) the price you pay for a car seat isn't as important as how comfortable the child is in the car seat and the ease of removing the child from the car seat and putting them in. I never paid more than a 100 dollars for a car seat(well, 120 was the most) and you can usually get them on sale. I use to work at a resale shop and alot of the name brand car seats, cribs, and strollers seemed to get recalled more often than your standard graco car seat or evenflo. Just because it's a pricey name brand doesn't guarantee quality, you are paying for the name not the quality. We paid 400 dollars for my daughter's trundle bed and dresser and when the set it up we realized it was just thin drywall material and when we went to move it the headboard ripped. it was cheaply constructed.

So buyer beware here. Just thought I'd let ya know. Go with what you and toddler are most comfortable with.
    CinderAmethyst

Answer by CinderAmethyst at 11:29 AM on Jan. 10, 2010

• The Graco Nautilis is the one I ended up registering for when I looked for one. I searched for weeks before I settled on that one. It got great ratings and I liked the features it had and a little bonus was I thought it looked nice and would go with the colors in my car. Graco and Britax are both really trustworthy brands.
    Court128

Answer by Court128 at 11:35 AM on Jan. 10, 2010

• I just want to add that with Britax you are NOT paying for a name brand. They go ABOVE AND BEYOND what other manufacturers go through with testing and added safety features. Britax makes the SAFEST carseat hands down. My DD is getting a frontier next month, I love the Graco Nautilus, but I know the Britax is SAFER. It is SOOOO worth the money.
    Auntiemom410

Answer by Auntiemom410 at 12:09 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• i love my alpha omega. It looks way nicer than the other 2 imo. i know that shouldn't matter, but it's a plus. I wouldn't put looks before safety but this one has both. We've had no problems, it seems better quality than any of the car seats my friends have. It's really comfortable for my daughter. The harness goes up to 80 or 90 lbs, but by the time she's that big anyway she'll have a younger sibling who needs it as a car seat so we'll just buy her a smaller booster fir $20.

One thing I love is the material is so easy to clean and it seems to be extremely good quality, it hasn't worn out at all and never looks dirty like so many other car seats.
    Anonymous

• Alpha omega carseas harnesses DO NOT go up to 80 or 90 lbs... they go up to 40 and some models maybe 50. it will booster to 80 or 90 lbs.....
    Auntiemom410

Answer by Auntiemom410 at 9:40 AM on Jan. 12, 2010

• As a car seat tech for the past 8 years, I have installed all 3 seats on your list many times. The Alpha Omega is one of the most difficult seats to use and install, and most kids outgrow the harness by height by about age 2.5. The Nautilus is much easier to use and install, and converts to a booster. Some kids complain it hurts their back though. The Britax Marathon or Frontier 85 would be great choices. They are extremely comfortable with more padding than either the Alpha Omega or Nautilus and they have added safety features as well. The Frontier 85 has the tallest harness slots on the market and goes to 85 lbs. It also converts to an excellent booster seat and has a 9 year life span (versus the standard 6 years of the other seats). Also--every car seat manufacturer has had recalls. Britax has one of the best records for few recalls, and speedy attention to issues.
    carseatmama

Answer by carseatmama at 2:54 AM on Jul. 26, 2010