Do let your kids do messy activities?

I have a friend who has four year old twin boys. I bought them moon sand for their birthday because their aunt mentioned to me that they played with play doh at her house and loved it. I talked twin's aunt a couple months later and she said they were not allowed to play with moon sand, paint, or play doh at home and their mom regifted the moon sand. I also bought my neice paint and stuff for christmas and my sister won't let her play with it because it too messy. Is that a common thing are there a lot of mom's out there that do not let their kids play with paint or play doh? My daughter loves that kind of stuff she makes a mess but I just clean it up, kids are messy.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:18 AM on Jan. 10, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I have two boys, most of our fun art stuff involves a lot of mess, lots of paint, aqua sand, moon sand, shaving cream with food coloring, water play, glue, you name it we love it. I hate parents who dont want to 'deal with the mess' what the heck is that about get over it !
    82ndairbornewif

Answer by 82ndairbornewif at 12:57 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• I think every once in a while we have to put our laziness aside and let our kids have fun even though we know they are going to make a mess and we will have to help them clean up. Messy fun is the best! I used to love it when my Grandma would make her homeade "Green Slime" for me. It was messy as hell but we played with it outside and we had to clean up after ourselves when we were finished. Have to let kids live a little. Some of my best memories are doing messy arts and crafts with my mom and grandparents.
    Court128

Answer by Court128 at 11:31 AM on Jan. 10, 2010

• it depends on the person i will say i was one that messing things are only played with on warm days outside where i can hose off the child and table but moon sand is something i have let the kids have over play doh because it doesnt stick to the carpets next time try gifting the paint or marker that only work on special paper thats what i do to my sister's kids because she refuses the allow messy play also.........
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:33 AM on Jan. 10, 2010

• When my older two were little I was very anti messy stuff! It was so overwhelming. However, now with my little guy I do all kinds of messy fun stuff :) I'm older and wiser and not afraid of a little mess now and then anymore!
    Marsella

Answer by Marsella at 11:37 AM on Jan. 10, 2010

• I do let my son paint... but I would never give him or anyone else Moon Sand.
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 11:38 AM on Jan. 10, 2010

• Our boys got moon sand and they have only played with it a couple times... It's the worst stuff on the planet to let them play with in the house. They can paint, play with play doh, get all muddy outside riding their bikes, dirt bikes, I don't care, but there's something about that sand crap that makes me furious... They don't care anymore about it, I think they forgot they even have it. Believe me they earn their baths at the end of the day so they get plenty messy with everything else,lol...
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 11:49 AM on Jan. 10, 2010

• I defnitely let my little girls do messy things, like painting and most arts and crafts. They are usually supervised though, and I am almost always participating with them. I personally have no experience with moon sand but would probably let my girls play with that too. Supervised of course. However, I do know of several moms that do not allow their children to play with play dough etc; so I think it is pretty common for moms to feel this way unfortunately. I agree with the mom who suggested gifting the color wonder paints, markers, etc. Those things really are awesome, and my girls have had fun with those too.
    Lace186

Answer by Lace186 at 12:00 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• OP here. See I think play doh is worse than moon sand, that why I bought moon sand. Moon sand sweeps right up, play doh sticks everywhere. Oh well next time, I'll just give gift cards or books or something not messy. 

Anonymous

• I don't like play doh because no matter how short my daughter's nails were even if they were down to the nubs somehow that crap got in there and it was sooo hard to clean it out! I still let her play with it sometimes though despite that. I'm not sure about the whole moon sand thing, I don't even know what it is to be honest. But yes I do let my kids get messy, my daughters play out in the grass and dirt almost every day and my 3 year old loves using her sandcastle set in the dirt outside. That's what baths are for!
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 12:04 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• I let my kids play with many messy things. I would regift or donate Moon Sand worst crap ever made and it is impossible to get it all cleaned up. I would ask before giving those types of gifts. We usually send books or ask what kinds of things the kids want or are allowed to have.
    Anonymous