Is 15 monthes old to young to decipline? My inlaws baby is the most difficult toddler I have ever seen.

Whenever they bring him somewhere alls he does is scream and wants to be held. His parents and grandmother have to walk around carrying him the entire time. They say them can't put him down because they are afraid that he might hurt himself because he throws himself back and keeps banging his head. They can't even put him in a high chair at the table because he will scream, so they have to hold him. I'm at a point where I can't stand being around them. They just spend their whole time trying to console him. HIs parents seem very embarrassed it. I think that they should put him in a portacrib in another room and let him scream everytime he acts up. I honestly don't think he is to young to start deciplining.

staceynoel

Asked by staceynoel at 11:20 AM on Jan. 10, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I dont either.. but then again im also all for CIO which im probably gonna get bashed for saying.. but IT DOES WORK.
    maybebaby83

Answer by maybebaby83 at 11:24 AM on Jan. 10, 2010

• I don't think 15 months is too young to dicipline but there are appropriate ways to dicipline them. Have to remember that they are very little and honestly don't understand the difference between right and wrong at that age but it's never too young to start attempting to teach them.
    Court128

Answer by Court128 at 11:24 AM on Jan. 10, 2010

• 15 months old is NOT too young to discipline! It has to start somewhere! My son was already getting (very short) time outs at that age and he is perfectly happy and healthy now. I am also a huge advocate of the 'cry it out' method. It does work!
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 11:33 AM on Jan. 10, 2010

• Fifteen months is not to young to discipline. I really think it should start right away when they do something wrong. I would check out for health problems. May be he is in some kind pain when put in his highchair. also sounds like he may be scary. Talking and explaining things to him might help. Or he is very spoiled.
    KathyH105

Answer by KathyH105 at 11:44 AM on Jan. 10, 2010

• You think the parents like him being like that? Maybe he just really hates change, maybe he gets tired easily. He could just be really clingy.
    Either way, offer them books, advice, but since you are not that child's parent, you don't know the full story.

Personally couldn't use CIO. Your child stops crying because they know you won't be there. What a precedent to set.
    Piskie

Answer by Piskie at 11:45 AM on Jan. 10, 2010

• You think the parents like him being like that?

His parents MADE him that way.. if they didnt pick him up EVERY time he cried or threw a fit, he wouldnt do it..
    And BTW there is a difference in Crying and just throwing a fit
    maybebaby83

Answer by maybebaby83 at 11:51 AM on Jan. 10, 2010

• I think he is just very spoiled
    staceynoel

Answer by staceynoel at 11:52 AM on Jan. 10, 2010

• I'm not a huge advocate of CIO but in this case, I don't think the crying going on is the kind that needs to be responded to. IF my son needs me (and I know the difference much to his displeasure) then I'm not going to ignore him but tantrums are a different thing. They should try time outs. If he throws himself on the floor, let him. Chances are he's going to bonk his head once and get the idea that the only one that hurts is himself. I'm also finding that little boys are pretty much an unstoppable force so they should worry more about getting him under control before he really hurts himself than worrying about a goose egg on his forehead. When they take him out to dinner, do they bring things for him to play with or just expect him to sit in his chair? We got a little backpack for my son so he can bring books and coloring stuff when we go out. I don't blame you though. Unruly kids are impossible to be around usually.
    flitpixie

Answer by flitpixie at 11:54 AM on Jan. 10, 2010

• Yes they always bring things for him to play with, he just pushes the toys away. The parents usually take turns walking around the restaurant with him and then usually leave early..
    staceynoel

Answer by staceynoel at 11:57 AM on Jan. 10, 2010

• This is about the age I started time outs. 1 minute only.
    Anonymous