Autistic children and race?

I dont know ifs its just where I live but am curious. Most families who have children on the autism spectrum are white. Does autsim affect mostly a certian race? Have you ever seen an african american family with an autsitic child?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:06 PM on Jan. 10, 2010 in General Parenting

• i know a hispanic one with an autistic child.
    Anonymous

• Autism isn't specific to any race, however depending on where you live and what your community diversity is you may be predispositioned to see more "white" couples with autistic children because there are more "white" people in your community.
    Also, being someone from detroit, MI and living near places with very low income I have noticed that the more wealthy a family is the more likely they are to go to all the necessary doctor appointments and catch things early on. Most poor households won't recognize the warning signs and if they do will not be able to get the help needed from either lack of medical care or lack of intelligence and information on how to get it.
    momofkearra

Answer by momofkearra at 12:11 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• Also, being someone from detroit, MI and living near places with very low income I have noticed that the more wealthy a family is the more likely they are to go to all the necessary doctor appointments and catch things early on. Most poor households won't recognize the warning signs and if they do will not be able to get the help needed from either lack of medical care or lack of intelligence and information on how to get it.
    ------------------------------------
    so low income people are stupid and arent intelligent or aware enough to notice that their child is exhibiting different behavior.
    Anonymous

• the wealthy people in my neighborhood are never home. If anyone were to recognize any signs of autism, it would be the nanny, not mom and dad. Also, money doesnt keep your eyes and ears open. I think that someone that is low income will be able to see that their child's arm flapping and other autistic characteristics is a red flad. dont be so narrow minded.
    Anonymous

• Though Autism does not affect any certain race more than others, it's true that is in seen more in whites, than other. Both my brother and I have an Autistic child, and I am on the Autism spectrum as well. And the comment above about rich people doing more because they have money is false. In my experience, rich people are more prone to deny there is a problem, and while the poor people might not have the money to get all the treatments, there are many programs that help them through it for low cost or free. And even if a parent does not notice it, doctors and teachers do, and will bring it up, encouraging intervention.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 1:31 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• I live in a mostly white small town so yes the only ones I see are white but it is not something that is more noticeable in one race over the other. If I lived back home in L.A. then I know i would see a much more diverse mix of children with autism than i see here.

As far as income level, well WOW is all i can say.

Autism can present in a very mild way not always arm flapping (which my son has never done BTW) there are many degrees of autism even the most wealthy family in the world could miss it till the child is school age. autism is not this simple thing that you look at a child and say "oh look he is autistic" it doesnt work like that.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 1:42 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• "so low income people are stupid and aren't intelligent or aware enough to notice that their child is exhibiting different behavior. " WOW!!!! I realize that often times poverty and ignorance go hand in hand, but it is pretty ballsy of you to make such a blanket statement regarding low income parents. There are plenty of low income families that manage to take care of their children. As a matter of fact, Medicaid is one of the best insurance plans you can have, no deductibles, or co-pays etc. Maybe you are low income since you are ignorant enough to think it is OK to make these kinds of statements.

salexander

Answer by salexander at 1:34 PM on Jan. 11, 2010