Tanning salons & AcneFree/Proactive (PIOC)

There are indications that you should avoid "prolonged sun exposure" when using Benzoyle Peroxide, but I've always ignored them and all kinds of other Rx bottle warmnings about tanning. So far, I've never had an adverse reaction... has anyone ever had a problem using AcneFree or Proactive and tanning a couple times per week? Btw, yes I know sun exposure is bad for your skin, that's not what I'm asking.

Does anyone do both with no problems? Anyone ever had a reaction? What was the reaction?

MichiMomma

Asked by MichiMomma at 12:25 PM on Jan. 10, 2010 in Health

• Some people don't react at all. If there are peroxide relatives in the product, it can cause the skin to bleach. If the product has vitamin A (retinol) in it, you'll burn a lot lot lot faster. If you can go off the product for 2 days before tanning, the risk drops.

I haven't used those brands. DH and I both used to tan to prevent acne.

One thing to really watch out for is if you have the acne med on your face then put tanning bed lotion on. They can react when mixed. Especially the lotions with the oxidizers that brown you faster.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 5:28 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• I just recently had a horrible reaction from using something similar to proactive and tanning. It burnt my face really bad, and my whole face is swollen. My eyes are also hurting and blury. Its been like that for 4 days, im thinking about going to the doctor tomorrow.
    hottiwbrowneyes

Answer by hottiwbrowneyes at 2:42 AM on Feb. 4, 2010