Tanning Salons & AcneFree/Proactive (PIOC)

There are indications that you should avoid "prolonged sun exposure" when using Benzoyle Peroxide, but I've always ignored them and all kinds of other Rx bottle warmnings about tanning. So far, I've never had an adverse reaction... has anyone ever had a problem using AcneFree or Proactive and tanning a couple times per week? Btw, yes I know sun exposure is bad for your skin, that's not what I'm asking.

Does anyone do both with no problems? Anyone ever had a reaction? What was the reaction?

MichiMomma

Asked by MichiMomma at 12:26 PM on Jan. 10, 2010 in Beauty & Style

• i use proactive and have found that my face has burned easier since starting it.....if the tanning bed has a face tanner that you can turn off do that for half the time until you get a base then slowly work your way up
    juliak818

Answer by juliak818 at 11:15 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• I don't go to Tanning Salons any more. I try to stay out of the sun for long periods of time. It DOES cause skin cancer you know.
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 12:30 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• more than likely, your fresh skin (since you're talking about a product that has AHAs/glycolic acids that do an extreme job of exfolitating) will be sensitive to burn easier. you may or may not have this reaction-however, the makers of the product(s) would not put this warning on the label if it weren't a good possibility....think of it as a way to damage the skin worse than the tanning bed alone.
    :))
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 12:31 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• If I were you, when tanning I would cover my face at least 1/2 the time, until you have established a good base tan on your face because using those products makes your face MUCH more sensitive to the damaging rays that you would get not only in tanning beds but in the natural sunlight as well
    AshleyBishop06

Answer by AshleyBishop06 at 12:34 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• i think the warning is only there bc certain medications/products can/will increase the skins sensitivity to the sun or indoor tanning bed exposure. i think you are fine, and if youre going tanning anyway (so do i) then you already know the risks. these products most likely just increase the risks. if i were you, and didnt notice any changes, then i wouldnt worry about it. good luck :)
    Anonymous

• I don't use many medications, but tanning DOES clear up my skin. I don't do it often, but when I do, if I am consistent with it, my skin clears up!
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 12:37 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• because the acne products tend to dry out the skin, and sun exposure also dries out skin, that's why they say that.
    Anonymous

• I would not use anything with benzol perox while tanning. I would use a lotion and I do this once a week. I am so white that it does not even look so dark and I really look young. I am definitely the exception.
    bella69147

Answer by bella69147 at 7:19 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• anwers your mainly gna get how bad it is. but the BEST and very good for skin and has a SPF in it already so if u do go tanning. which i like to tan maybe 2-3 days out the month for a small glow. but if u do i would use VELOCITY in the summer time it works wonders esp if u dont want to wrinkle quick. lol im 19 and it works wonders i swear! lmme know u want to try it. its inexpensive. but i ddid u proactiv about 2 years ago and it was WONDERFUL until my skin got prone to it ya know. and ame with acnefree the walmart brand. anyways lemme know if u wanna try velocity no i dont sell it but i can get u someone to send it to u or u can do it online.
    Armywifelovely

Answer by Armywifelovely at 8:09 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• I also checked into this. .it has nothing to do with accelerating the burning process or anything of the such. There is a warning.. straight from the site:

What about using Suntan Beds or Tanning Salons?
    It is not recommended to use Suntan Beds or Tanning Salons for the treatment of acne while using AcneFree as the Peroxide in AcneFree could cause blotching and/or black spots.
    CJsmommy4104

Answer by CJsmommy4104 at 10:00 AM on Mar. 2, 2010