whats the most traumatizing thing you have experienced as a parent?

How did it change you if at all? How did you deal with it? My DD choked nearly to death on a piece of a melon. There was blood everywhere from her gagging so bad. She was rushed to the hospital. She is totally fine now but I'm not.it has scarred me and now I have anxiety walking into the kitchen or when feeding her. It just happened a couple days ago and I'm trying to deal with it. Thank god I have the most supportive friends and SO. They even cleaned up the kitchen for me, blood and all because I couldn't handle it. I'm using this as a learning experience and have enrolled myself and the nanny is CPR classes. One day I'll get over it (maybe) but right now is not the time. Tell me your experience.

ProudMammaMia

Asked by ProudMammaMia at 12:28 PM on Jan. 10, 2010 in General Parenting

• I allowed Sierra to leave the house one time with a friend. I was told they would go to the friends grandparents house which is just two houses down. An hour later I go over there and find out the girls didn't stay there. They went walking the neighborhood. I'm proud of myself. I kept my head until after I found her. Then I freaked. She was grounded for a month and was never allowed to play with that friend again because it was the friend that talked her into walking around the neighborhood. She was a bad influence.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 1:01 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• when my little girl fell off our 4 ft bed at 6months old.and now at 19 months she loves to climb on and off the bed and i get nervouse becouse hubby will play with her on the bed and she will run torwad the edge cuz she knows someone will catch her
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 1:50 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• My oldest(he's now going on 6) was 2 when he ended up in the Urgent Care with stitches in his finger from climbing our counter and getting into a trash bag. That bag had an empty veggie can that he got his finger stuck in the lid and upon pulling his finger out it sliced it.

Blood was EVERYWHERE and just didnt seem to want to stop spurting all over. I am weak when it comes to the sight of blood but my mommyness kicked in and I was a lot stronger than I thought I could be(that was a lesson learned). He got 5 stitches and then we found out he was allergic to the latex ace wrap they put on it(blistered up)...another lesson learned.

When it happened I was with our newborn son so I laid him down and grabbed my shirt and tried to put pressure on the wound. My DH was asleep, got up and grabbed a towel. I then held on to my boy as we jumped in the car and drove to the Urgent Care.

Another lesson....never leave can lids on.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 7:26 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• I have had two. My first was when I was pregnant with our twins and I was put in the hospital for preterm labor at 28 weeks. Twin A, Tristen, had a rare disease called Fetal Ascites that we had been monitioring. Well, was shipped to OU Children's Hospital OKC, OK. The next day we were told by 3 different doctors that we needed to decide which twin to save. I freaked. Then we were told they would watch them for a few more days. After 3 days we were handed a piece of paper to sign, it was consent for an autopsy. They informed us that Tristen would more than likely be still born. Long story-He LIVED and so did his twin they are now 2.

The second was when twin B, Thomas had to have surgery to fix a birth defect. At 5 months he underwent surgery to correct it. Handing him to the nurse and not know if I would ever see him alive was heartbreaking. Again everything went great.

I pray I never have to go through that again.
    palexander

Answer by palexander at 11:56 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• Last march I hired a baby sitter, she is the DD of a friend of mine. She has a 2 yr old DD of her own. It was my oldest sons 23 bday and we had plans to go with family to the Olive Garden and did not want to take the little ones. I left dinner for her and the kids. As we were leaving, she was putting the kids coats on to take them out in the yard to play for awhile. When we were seated and had our drinks, I called her cell to check in. No answer. I called the home, no answer, at first I was not scared because I thought they were out back and she didn't hear the phone. We called and called, started to panic. So we called a friend and asked him to run over and check. By the time he got there, he called DH back and said the cops are out front, we left right away, she had fallen asleep on them and her DD let the three of them outside. The neighbors saw them in the street called police and took them back to the house!
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 1:20 PM on Jan. 11, 2010