whats the most traumatizing thing you have experienced as a parent?

How did it change you if at all? How did you deal with it? My DD choked nearly to death on a piece of a melon. There was blood everywhere from her gagging so bad. She was rushed to the hospital. She is totally fine now but I'm not.it has scarred me and now I have anxiety walking into the kitchen or when feeding her. It just happened a couple days ago and I'm trying to deal with it. Thank god I have the most supportive friends and SO. They even cleaned up the kitchen for me, blood and all because I couldn't handle it. I'm using this as a learning experience and have enrolled myself and the nanny is CPR classes. One day I'll get over it (maybe) but right now is not the time. Tell me your experience.

ProudMammaMia

Asked by ProudMammaMia at 12:30 PM on Jan. 10, 2010 in Just for Fun

• That is awful, I'm truly glad that she is ok and I can imagine how terrifying it was for you and what you must be going through now. But they do say time heals all scars. It is very difficult though to see your LO go through something so awful.

For me, and this happened May of last year, so it hasn't been a year, but I came home to my then 4 month old in a state of lethargy and unconscienceness. She had been shaken by her own father, and I had only been gone for 30 minutes. Before I left I put her down and she was sleeping peacefully. When I got home she lost ability to hold up her own head, was pale, and had cold, lifeless eyes. Luckily the hospitals were able to save her, but what we went through there was even worse than how I found her. She had seizures for 3 days and was constantly throwing up the little she would eat. She is now a happy, healthy 13 month old w/ no problems but the memory is still fresh in my mind.
    Anonymous

• My divorce. Holding my son as he screamed and collapsed in my lap upon realizing daddy was never coming home again was the most horrific thing I've ever done.
    Anonymous

• Last year my daughter (7yo then) was messing around in the kitchen and broke her femur. The spiral fracture was so bad that she had emergency surgery and 2 rods where hammered into her bone to stabilize it & allow it to heal straight. 3 months later the rods were removed and she's fine now.

Yes, it was in my kitchen. No, she just slipped while spinning around. Yes, she drinks enough milk. Actually, her bone is stronger now than before. Yes, she was in a wheelchair, then walker, then crutches. Yes, it will grow right. She can walk/run/jump normally.... I was traumatized by the questions too as you can see.

But seriously, I get nauseous when I really remember the visual - the scream, the immediate swelling, the look of terror on her face as she layed on the floor, the sirens, the stitches, the children's codiene on my counter, watching my baby walk with crutches in the snow and ICE.

cont....

MichiMomma

Answer by MichiMomma at 12:42 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• When my daughter called me, terrified because her boyfriend she was living with was drunk, lost control and was beating on her. We had to go get her, take her to the hospital ER with a broken rib and a concussion. I had to keep my husband from trying to kill the boyfriend, too. The cops were there and everything--never been around that kind of crap before and hope never again.
    Anonymous

• cont...

Last fall I was at an 8th grade football game and a boy broke his leg, the screams made me nauseous and I had to leave the stands.  It was months before I let her jump - at all. Now I'm not so paranoid, but still... she'll never do gymnastics again. I know the surgeons said it'll be stronger than before, but still, I was traumatized too. Just writing the last post brought tears to my eyes and she broke her leg in November of 2007.

You will get over the extreme feelings you have right now, but you'll always remember the moment. I try really hard to change my thinking from "how/why did that happen" to "I'm so lucky... It could've been worse.

I'm glad everything's okay for you and your daughter. Things like this make us hug our kids tighter and I'm a little less irritated when I hear "Mooooom" for the 87th time in a day!

MichiMomma

Answer by MichiMomma at 12:49 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• Last year my husband was arrested for walking into my daughters ex-best friends house and threatening her mom. This mother took sexy pictures of my 12 year old daughter in a towel and sexy dresses and posted them on the internet. She also took pictures of boy topless and in their underwear. Several parents called cps on her and she blamed me. She and her daughter started to spread lies about me and my daughter and posted a lot of horrible lies about us on the internet. My daughter suffered so much because of this and my husband couldn't take it anymore. When he was arrested the police blocked off our street and walked to our house with their hands on their guns, my husband came out to talk to them and they threw him to the ground and handcuffed him. My 7 and 16 year old were home at the time. It was so painful because that mother did so much to us and we were the ones in trouble
    staceynoel

Answer by staceynoel at 12:54 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• When my son was 6,he had a febrile seizure and stopped breathing.Earlier he was acting like he was getting an ear infection,and had a 101 fever.I gave him motrin,and let him rest.A little while later he got up and asked for a snack.While he was sitting there,his eyes glazed over and he fell.His fever had shot up to 106 within a half hour.I stripped him naked and was running a cool bath when he began to seize and stopped breathing.I was scared so bad holding my son and watching him turn blue! The ambulance took 15 min to get to us (idiots).While we were waiting,he began breathing on his own.He fell instantly asleep and began snoring.The hospital did a CT scan,and took a bunch of blood,but never found the source of the infection.We found out his "thermostat" in his brain overreacts to sickness and jacks his temp up,so we have to medicate every fever no matter how low it is.Just another lovely effect of his autism!
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 1:43 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• Last November our youngest who was one at the time came down with Adenovirus (sp), she threw up all over, went into a seizure and stopped breathing on the way to the hospital. She was totally blue by the time we reached the ER. It was so awful to see her hooked up to all these IV's and oxygen. They had to put her to sleep to do a cat scan and after she was returned to her room she stopped breathing a second time. I never want to experience that again, I felt so helpless at that point because there was nothing I could do to help my baby. She is happy and healthy now but every time she gets sick we freak out a little. It was the worst 5 days of my life plus we had a male nurse who was a total ass and they actual had to have my husband come back to the hospital because I threatened to kick his ass if he touched my kid again.

lapcounter

Answer by lapcounter at 1:50 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• Two years ago, my son choked on a chip at a restaurant. I tried everything and I couldn't get the chip free. I kept my cool until I realized that I couldn't get it out and not a damn person in that restaurant helped me. Just when I started to panic, it finally flew out of his mouth after two minutes me holding him upside down practically beating it out of him. I never thought people could just sit back and watch you struggle as your child dies. Of course there have been studies done where people will watch murder, rape and burglary and just stare and do nothing. I have been in several situations where I have stepped in and helped a mother that was in distress in an emergency situation. It's totally different when it's your own child.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 2:08 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• On Christmas day, my son Rick (now 21) was only 13 months old, pushed himself up by using a kerosene heater while lit. We He burnt his hand to 2nd degree burns even though it was only on the heater for a few seconds. My dad and I rushed him to the hospital and they cleaned it and bandaged it up, but he would not eat anything for whole day. After that I made my parents have the heater off when we came over. In my own place I do not use them at all. I'm still scared of them heaters. Thank goodness he does not remember it at all, but still have the scars from it.

kahurst1968

Answer by kahurst1968 at 2:11 PM on Jan. 10, 2010