Has anyone ever been a Census worker?

I'm applying to be a Census-taker this year & I'd just like to see from others how it is.

Wheepingchree

Asked by Wheepingchree at 1:06 PM on Jan. 10, 2010 in Money & Work

• You have to walk to all the places that needs the data. You get trained and it pays very little. Most are part-time. Since it is ran through the goverment, you have to follow by their rules and no everyone gets hired.
    Anonymous

• I'm taking the test on Friday. I figured it would be a good way to make some decent money. $15 an hour and it's easy! Plus, it's going to be a break from the every day. But I couldn't do that kind of thing permanently... Six weeks will be more than enough...

Good luck on your end.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 7:00 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• I did for the 1980 census and it pays very well and with great benefits if it's the same now as it was. They ended up needing me to make the maps so they transferred me & I didn't have to walk around. I loved working for the Census Bureau. They hired me for 1 - 4 yrs and laid us off every summer so we could be out collecting unemployment and stay home with the kids. I was a single mom and sitter fees were killing me but summers were great.

Answer by admckenzie at 8:36 PM on Jan. 10, 2010