My 6 year old daughter JUST started peeing her pants at school! EEK!

I need advice from Moms who have actually been through this. I took her to the doctor to ensure she didn't have a UTI and a woman in the waiting room was saying it's because she is being molested. (um, NO, she is NOT).

We recently bought a home last year and she had to change schools. It's within the same district so she was able to switch to AM Kindergarten in order to keep the same teacher. (Who travels between two schools) This made the transition much easier.
She is a very bright little girl- in the top of her class. She blows through her homework with ease and has no problems getting along with kids in her class. The classroom has a bathroom connected to it for easy access.
She's been at this new school for 2 months. 10 days ago she peed her pants at school. We dismissed it as a fluke. When asked why, she said it's because she was too busy playing and didnt want to leave the game center.
It has happened 3 (cont)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:06 PM on Jan. 10, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• (continued)
    3 more times since then. The school has said that she cannot return until she stops. I don't know what to do. Anyone who has been through this, HELP! She's been checked for a UTI and had an exam and they said she was fine and its just a "phase" EEK!
    Anonymous

• Is the school giving her enough bathroom breaks? Maybe talk to them about giving her more bathroom breaks. I tell my son if he has to go to the bathroom and can't hold it, to just go. If he gets in trouble I will deal with it.

Anonymous

• Yes, the bathroom is literally attached to the classroom. She goes before school starts as well. Class is only 3 hours long. She has been able to hold it before on car trips and things like that. Before this started happening, she'd not peed her pants since she was 3 years old.
    Anonymous

• Have her checked for a bladder infection - different test. One of my girls has had multiple bladder infections but no UTIs and was wetting herself when she'd always been the child that never had accidents. She was tested for a UTI, negative, then tested for a bladder inf, positive. They're treated differently too, a bladder inf can't be cured with cranberry juice like a UTI.
    Anonymous

• Just to be sure, I'd get her blood sugar checked as well. Is she drinking more than normal? This was one of the first symptoms that made us think our daughter may be diabetic. (the peeing). Turns out she is.

Otherwise, what I would do is, pick an amount of time like a half hour, you could tell her to go every half hour no matter what. It really could just be a phase.
    heatheryn

Answer by heatheryn at 5:41 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• I would also get a referral to a therapist. She doesnt need to know why she is going to talk to this person. Im sure you can make up a reason that she needs to chat with this woman/man.

Anonymous