My 14 month old son won't eat!

My son is seriously a very picky eater. He eats cheerios & oatmeal in the morning, but when it comes to lunch & dinner.. he doesn't like to try anything! he likes pizza & chicken nuggets, but sometimes when i cut them up & put them in front of him, he wont eat! he drinks 18-25 oz of milk a day & i give him 9 oz of V8 fusion (the vegetable & fruit juice which is a full serving of both) but he just doesn't like to try foods! I just tried cutting up an apple today for him to eat, and he pushed the plate away. Is there anything I can do?! Or is it just because he's teething & sometimes doesn't want to eat?! I get so frustrated & it's bothering me! Last time he got weighed he was 25 lbs & I think 30 in. Please help!

erikaelizabeth

Asked by erikaelizabeth at 1:08 PM on Jan. 10, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Normal for all kids to do this. It's a feeding jag, and he'll get out of it eventually and eat 6 plates full of broccoli some day and your jaw will drop. Just keep serving him healthy options, he won't starve himself.
    Anonymous

• My son just turned 3 and he has always been a picky eater, at times I can't even get him to eat lunch or dinner. We have taken him to the doctor, to rule out anything serious, and he has always been healthy. I give him ovaltine daily for a yummy drink that has nutrients in it and try to pick foods that are packed with nutritional value. He is a big fan of chicken nuggets, pizza and mac & cheese, not the best daily diet. He is very energetic and healthy so I wouldn't worry too much as long as he's healthy.
    arianne

Answer by arianne at 1:28 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• I call this the air-o-tarian phase. They all go through it. First, make sure that she is drinking water, so she doesn't get dehydrated.
    Most important, do not create a monster who only eats nuggets, mac and cheese and hot dogs.
    Just keep offering a variety of healthy foods, and eventually she will start eating.
    Frozen foods are fun to play with, and will get eaten, like peas, blueberries and corn. Chunks of avocado and tofu are loaded with great nutrition, and are fun to squish between little fingers.
    I have never met a toddler who wouldn't eat hummus (lots of calcium, protein, good fats and iron), you can mix it with a mashed egg.
    Offer cut fruits with yogurt dip, fresh veggies with hummus or salad dressing, cooked whole wheat pasta and veggies with marinara or peanut sauce or cheese sauce.

cont

Answer by rkoloms at 2:14 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• We use the 3 bite rule. You must try 3 bites of what is on your plate; if you don't like it, you get peanut butter and honey on whole grain toast with a kiwi or apple. Even my husband is expected to follow the rule.
    If you cave now, you will forever have a picky monster on your hands. I promise that your child will not starve. Parents who cave are part of the reason why one half of American children are both undernourished and overweight. One third of children born in this century will develop type 2 diabetes.
    Keep offering a variety of healthy foods; stop buying junk foods until the picky phase has passed,

Answer by rkoloms at 2:15 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• I would cut back his milk intake first... to 12-16 oz/day and he might start eating better. And for sure cut back his juice intake... he should have no more than 4 oz of juice in a day.
    And then I would just keep offering different foods... don't fall into the trap of giving him things he likes to just get him to eat or he will just get more picky.
    When I feed my son he usually would have something like chicken, fruit and a vege... he LOVES fruit and will always eat that but I don't give him much so he doesn't fill up on it... I call it his "jump start" food. If that is all he eats, oh well, he will eat better the next time. I also don't let him fill up on a bunch of snacks if he didn't eat well, so that he is hungry for his next meal and doesn't think that if he chooses not to eat he can have something else later.
    If he is having snacks make sure they are healthy... not junk food like fruit snack or crackers.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 2:25 PM on Jan. 10, 2010