Is it okay that my 6 month old is not sitting at all?

He just falls over like I imagine a younger baby would, he isn't showing any signs of sitting and I'm getting kind of worried =\

SandraB383

Asked by SandraB383 at 1:54 PM on Jan. 10, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• He's fine. Get a boppy or bumbo sitter to help him strengthen his back muscles.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 1:56 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• if you want to work with him do this:
    put a sofa cushion or another rectangular cushion behind him. it shd be from about his waist down. don't let him slouch. gently rub his back to keep him straight. also try sitting him on a flat surface, like the table and hold his thighs together. one of my client's moms said she got pair of paints and tore off one legging and put both legs in one legging. you're teaching him to use his muscles. try to keep him occupied by reading him a book or have a favorite toy with him, or whatever works best. do this often throughout the day.

A bumbo is great for when they're not ready to sit on their own, however it doesn't teach them to sit independently.
    A boppy can be used as a cushion while he's sitting but remember, don't let him slouch.
    Vero0724

Answer by Vero0724 at 2:35 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• He's fine.

Answer by admckenzie at 2:56 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• I would give it some time. If he is not sitting up by the time he is 9 months, you might bring it up with your doctor, but 6 months is still in the perfectly normal range for not sitting yet!
    kitten_shuga

Answer by kitten_shuga at 3:32 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• He's fine. My son didn't start sitting up until after he started crawling. That was close to 8 months.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:20 AM on Jan. 11, 2010