Do check your teens myspace/facebook and look at their friends profiles?

I do, it helps me to see what kind of kids they really are. Kids can be so sneaky and act so polite in front of the parents. By looking at their profiles I've seen many sexual comments and filthy and fowl mouths.

staceynoel

Asked by staceynoel at 2:01 PM on Jan. 10, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• that is an invasion of privacy IMO

if I were your kids, I'd set my accounts to be viewable by friends only!
    Anonymous

• Because of the reasons you mentioned my kids weren't allowed to have any of those even other sites. They've only been allowed to email and scan pictures in email or text and phone. That cut out a lot of disrespect in them to me plus between them and other kids. My house my rules. Hindsight after bullying is too late.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 2:05 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• anon you must be a teen yourself or very young and immature, that's why you have that attitude, wait until you have teenagers and you question what kind of kids they are hanging our with
    staceynoel

Answer by staceynoel at 2:05 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• Everyday...

Answer by rkoloms at 2:10 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• hi anon104 I've snooped and snoop in my kids who live in my house while I pay their bills - they know I've done that and they know I do it. 3 kids now 17yo to 25 yo. The 22yo and 25yo I haven't snooped for years because of their ages. But I certainly did when they were younger and I do with my teen and I will continue to while she's living in my house.

I wonder if you have teens who's safety has been compromised by peers or untrustworthy adults? To find people conversing with your kids in sexual ways and to meet up with them when they're minors and obviously unknowns is wrong.

My two older kids are processing out finishing colleges degrees and my son and his girlfriend live with us often for months at a time on vacations. So my rules aren't that hard for kids to deal with.

I understand your viewpoint but in the world today kids safety has to come before their sexual privacy and chance to bully and be bullied.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 2:13 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• I am my teens fb friend so can snoop on her profile page and she knows it. That was part of the deal of me letting her get a fb account to begin with. My rule for her- each new friend she invites or accepts must be her age, and someone she knows or knows of because of going to school with. This eliminates my worry of her getting wierdos on her list of fb friends, and I also make sure her settings are to ultra private so no wierdo can look her up!
    Anonymous

• I am my childs facebook friend. I set up the account and I monitor it EVERYDAY!!! I have warned him if I ever find anything questionable on there I will delete the account. In these days you cannot be too safe when your child has access to the internet.
    t_06_twins

Answer by t_06_twins at 3:07 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• That's the rule at my house. If you have facebook or myspace... Mom is on your friend's list. :-) It is not an invasion of privacy because I have told them upfront as well as pointed out the obvious... how private is it if you are posting it for the whole world to see? It is a public forum and I am part of the public. End of story.
    ThatTXMom

Answer by ThatTXMom at 3:14 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• No. My sons are high school seniors and I have never checked their FB or MySpace or even their text messages. I trust them and I am in involved. They go nowhere without us knowing exactly where they are and who they are with. They follow our rules because they enjoy the freedoms that that gives them.
    Anonymous

• if your kid is 13-17, you absolutely should. my little sister is 14, and was talking with a 19 yr old... ended up going to his house (where there were 2 other 19 yr old boys, besides him) and got stranded in a town 20 minutes away because she lied about where she was going.... she could've gotten raped etc etc........... you NEED to monitor your child's internet activity... when they're 18, they can do whatever they want on there, but until then, it is your job to protect them.
    Anonymous