what is the easiest way to potty train a 2 year old boy?

im a stay at home mom, and my hubby is always working, how can i potty train him myself?

Dixiedarlin8107

Asked by Dixiedarlin8107 at 2:11 PM on Jan. 10, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son will be 3 in April and we're just starting to attempt potty training.He has absolutely never cared if his diaper was wet and only recently started to complain if he'd pooped so I'm not waiting on that sign.. I agree with the other moms that trying before he's ready if going to make you nuts. However, buy a potty (something very simply with no bells or whistels will be cheaper and easier to keep clean) and try having him sit on it. First in clothes, then without his diaper. We've bought a couple of "special" books he can only read on the potty to get him to sit. We've had a couple of successful attempts to pee but he doesn't seem to be aware that he's gone. Until he is, I'm sticking with pull-ups to avoid the endless messes. Once he's made the connection, we'll go to regular underwear and very frequent trips. We'll see how this goes...
    Anonymous

• the easiest way is to wait until he is actually ready to potty train, he'll let you know.
    Anonymous

• "the easiest way is to wait until he is actually ready to potty train, he'll let you know. "

DITTO!
    Anonymous

• my son showed signs of porrt training around age 2,he would tell me when he was wet and seemed ready, so I tested it out but buying underwear and taking away diapers during the day. I would ask him if he had to pee when he woke up, after naps, after drinking, eating etc. He started to go, when he had an accident he hated feeling wet, so he stopped wetting himself, then he started having dry diapers at night too
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 2:18 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• Starting at that age is most likely too early. Not saying you can't try, but don't let it get to you when it doesn't happen. You will know when he is ready. But what I did w/ my son when he was 3 is put him in underwear and took him to the potty every 30-45 minutes. Yes there was accidents, but he did catch on pretty quick. He did not like the wet feeling. Good luck!
    Tiffany237

Answer by Tiffany237 at 2:19 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• yes, you have to wait until he's ready. here's how you know..... they wake up dry and they show interest in using the potty. if you think he's ready, just let him go witout pants and keep the door to the bathroom open and the light on. show him his potty chair and tell him how to use it. i train boys sitting down to pee too.... it's just easier to start of with. explain to him that if he makes a mess and pees or poops on the floor he will be cleaning it up and not get any reward. but don't punish him about it..... just make him clean it up and tell him it's ok, we'll try harder next time. you can remind him to try at different points throughout the day when you think he might have to go. also, tell him that it's a rule to try to go before you leave the house or go to bed (he gets a pull up when he goes out or to bed in case he has an accident). i try not to go out for too long while they're getting potty trained though
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 2:19 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• My advice is to wait until after the baby is born, if you don't it is often the case the older sibling regresses and needs diapers again. Then all of your work will be for naught.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 2:20 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• My son was potty trained before he was 2. He was just ready. For a couple weeks we would have him sit on the potty. At first he would sit there and look at books and it would take him a little while to go. Then he got the hang of it and would just pee as soon as he sat down. After doing that we just put underpants on him. He was really excited to wear "big boy undies" with Cars, Diego and Spiderman on them. I think that helped a bit.

We still have to remind him to go and try, but he's recently been getting better about telling us he has to go. We still put diapers on him at nap and bed time. He usually wakes up dry, but I'm still a little nervous to have him sleep in underwear. He just turned 2 on January 4th, by the way.

PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 2:28 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• I always started with my kids right after they started walking. We used pull-ups and called them "big boy" or "big girl" underware. We often throughout the day took them to the potty.
    Anonymous

• i used jelly beans to entice my son! it worked he was trained fully in about a month and needed no more diapers.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 5:39 PM on Jan. 10, 2010