What would you do if you thought your 14 year old niece was pregnant?

She has confided in me that she has been having sex with her 16 year old boyfriend. So I gave her a lecture about how she should wait and everything, but being that I was her age once and I know that no matter what anyone told me I did it anyway, so I got her a bunch of condoms. Apparently one broke and she hasn't had her period in 2 months. What would you do? I was thinking of taking her to the health dept. before telling her mom. What do you all think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:24 PM on Jan. 10, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• You shoulda told her mom you were giving her condoms before you did. unless you already had talked to mom. I would want to know before my sister goes around giving her advice. Mind you, my sister is more conservative than I am but still, that's MY KID not hers.
    Vero0724

Answer by Vero0724 at 2:26 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• i think taking her to find out for sure before telling her mom would be BEST! especially if her mom is more likely to freak out.
    BABYnME610

Answer by BABYnME610 at 2:26 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• Buy a pregnancy test and make her take it. At 14 you can probably still pressure her to take it especially if she has confided with you in the past. Tell her if it is positive you will help her figure things out. She is probably too scared to take a test.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 2:27 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• yup, I'd take her there but until then I'd be heading to Dollar Tree and getting a HPT

Answer by admckenzie at 2:27 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• I would buy a home test, and go from there. She should tell her mom, It is the right thing to do. Being there once, telling my mom was the hardest thing to do!!! I didnt do it until someone made me!
    Anonymous

• take her to the health department! she needs to get on prenatals asap. i am speaking from experience. i got pregnant at 16. she also needs to se a doc asap. since she is so young, its her first pregnancy, there are things she needs to learn and be prepared for. also be a strong but understanding adult in her life. i am going to say this as a warning, not to scare you or her but be prepared. grls under the age of 21 are at a higher risk for premature labor. i tell u this because no one told me and my dd was born w/ underdeveloped lungs and spent time in NICU ( baby intensive care). i hope everything works out ok w. ur neice.
    Phippsandrea

Answer by Phippsandrea at 2:31 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• I am OP, her mom knows about the condoms, I think she just wants the issue to go away rather than dealing with it. She thinks her kid should not be doing this, but doesn't do anything to stop it. She lets her go and spend the night with this boy, which I would never let her do. Her mom got pregnant with her older brother when she was 15, but I still think she would freak out over it.
    BlainesMommy09

Answer by BlainesMommy09 at 2:31 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• I outed myself...lol
    BlainesMommy09

• Hopefully, your conversation included asking the girl and her boyfriend what they would do in the event of an unplanned pregnancy. It is time for them to act on that plan.

Answer by rkoloms at 2:32 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• tell her she has to tell her mom, if she doesn't you will and also be prepared for your sister to be upset with you for buying her child condoms (I know I would be furiour). She should have told your sister that she is sexually active. She is way to young to be doing that. Her mom could have kept a closer eye on her and now it's probably to late.
    staceynoel

Answer by staceynoel at 2:35 PM on Jan. 10, 2010