mircrowave bottles

how many of you microwave bottles? i've been told its not recommended because of the hot spots but if you make sure it isn't too hot for the baby is there any other concerns?

my boyfriend was complaining about radiation but when i watched the show The Doctors they were explaining how the amount of radiation that comes from microwaves are not harmful

i usually heat the water in a cup and let it warm in there but sometimes my baby is too impatient and warming it in a cup takes longer

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:53 PM on Jan. 10, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I also warm the water in another bottle then mix it with formula and pour into the bag. I use drop ins. I think the concern comes from the hot spots in heating up formula or breastmilk. I've never had any issues with warming the water.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 2:55 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• I have never ever used a microwave for a bottle and I don't think it should be used. Foods keep cooking after you take it out of the microwave so the liquid can heat up after the timer goes off. The baby won't die waiting for the bottle to heat up in the hot water. Just change his diaper and talk with him or sing to him. He'll be fine. Do it the way you are doing it now.

Answer by admckenzie at 2:55 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• I never heated my son's bottles. From the day he was born he drank them room temperature. I have always heard not to, but I'm not sure why you wouldn't.
    BlainesMommy09

Answer by BlainesMommy09 at 2:55 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• It is a myth that any plastic is safe in the microwave.

Answer by rkoloms at 2:56 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• I try not to run with anything from Doctors as they have sponsors and bills like anyone else but I didn't want to give my son any amount of radiation if I could help it so I took a small crock pot we never used and kept it filled with water, when it was about time for a meal I turned it on and put the bottle in. I actually got this from the nursery at my church, they drop all of the bottles into the crock pot to warm them. If I was pressed for time I would put a small amount of water into the kettle and then mix that hot water with cold water to make the bottle warm.
    1st_LadyD

Answer by 1st_LadyD at 3:00 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• I know that in the past we have heated bottles in the microwave and just shook them to make sure that the milk was evenly heated and then checked the temp and went on about our business. We were doing this before they said heating plastic was bad. When I have a child I do not know what I will do if I have to use bottles.
    SuzanneL09

Answer by SuzanneL09 at 3:01 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• I always warmed bottles in the microwave. The key, is shaking it like mad when it's done - some idiots will micro and stick it in the baby's mouth without shaking - THAT is how you get hot spots. If you shake vigorously it's impossible to have hot spots. Not saying I recommend it, but I microwaved all 4 of my babies bottles (NOT breastmilk, just the formula). And actually, by the end, I was microwaving the water by itself, THEN adding the formula - so it got shook twice (before and after adding the powder). But don't microwave breastmilk.
    Anonymous

• Unless plastic i labeled "microwave safe" it is a bad idea because of chemical leeching. Even microwave safe containers leech especially if old and worn. If your baby is that impatient either anticpate hunger so you are ready or get a bottle warmer.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 5:12 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• my boys were bottlefed and we used the microwave but we would heat the water in the bottle first, stir it, then add the formula, then stir it some more. never burned my boy's mouths. You also have to use some common sense and never heat it longer than like 15 seconds or so.
    threeeunder3

Answer by threeeunder3 at 8:09 PM on Jan. 10, 2010

• i microwaved my bottles with my first son, and now with this one. I always shake it after it's out of the microwave, and always test it on my wrist first. Never had any problems
    NaKeYJaKeYsMoMy

Answer by NaKeYJaKeYsMoMy at 11:35 AM on Jan. 11, 2010